University Physics - Engineering class

<p>The textbook they use in Analytic Physics IA/IB is University Physics Volume 1 & 2 &3 (Volume 1 contains Chap 1-20, Volume 2 contains 20-37, Volume 3 contains 37-44) , but from the same publisher, there is a University Physics with chapters 1-44, same cover, same edition (12th), same publisher, same author. </p>

<p>I was told by someone before that <em>if you can get the book with combined volume 1,2, and 3, that's even better</em></p>

<p>Now I'm wondering, is the University Physics 12th edition w/Mastering Physics the Combined version? </p>

<p>Any thoughts from those who already took analytic physics?</p>

<p>Yes, University Physics 12th edition w/Mastering Physics is one of the two combined versions. It also includes a CD to help you if you need extra physics problems ect. (Personally, I never use the CDs that come with books unless I have to but some people find it useful. Check with your professor/section to see if Mastering Physics is required.) You can also buy University Physics with Modern Physics (12th Edition) which is just the combination of the three volumes.</p>

<p>Price what the three volumes would cost used vs. what a used version of the combined edition would cost. You're going to get the same problems in the combined book that you would get in vol I, II and III so you might as well decide based on price. (Be forewarned, vol. III is a complete rip-off, it's so tiny.)</p>

<p>Hmmm, you're an engineering or physics major, yes? If so, you'll have to go up through Analytical Physics IIB so make sure you get all three volumes. If you're another major and just taking the first two physics courses (not something I'd recommend, BTW) then I'd say just get vol. I.</p>

<p>Sorry for the somewhat long winded answer. Basically, if you're definite about having physics for the next two years, figure out which is cheaper between the combined and separate versions and buy that. If not, buy one volume at a time.</p>