Unofficial Visit

<p>As a sophmore d1 prospect looking to make an unofficial visit, how do I arrange a meeting with the coach if they cannot return emails? Is there any way around having to call them?</p>

<p>The way I understand it, coaches aren't allowed to respond with any recruiting-specific information before September 1 of the junior year; however, they can respond to an email if you tell them that you're visiting their campus and whether they might be available for a short chat. However, they are not allowed to return a call or text message.</p>

<p>I think beenthere is right, but it's hard to find specific email contact rules from the NCAA. Even if it is allowed, I imagine some coaches may not respond to an email from a soph to avoid any appearance of impropriety.
Solutions - send an email stating you'll be on campus on such and such dates and wondering if it might be possible to meet him and learn a little more about the program - no need to mention your grade in the email.</p>

<p>or, just pick up the phone. It's really not that scary once you've made your first call.</p>

<p>My daughter is also a sophomore and interested in playing volleyball. We have visited a couple of d2 schools and like the d1 schools they are limited on responding to emails. Knowing this we contacted the Admissions Office. One school said that they would contact the coach and arrange the meeting if they could. A couple of days later they got back to us and told us it that a meeting was arranged. When we arrived and went to the Athletics Table the Athletic Director was there with the assistant volleyball coach. Once they found out who we were we were directed to a secluded part of the lounge and had a nice 40 minute chat with the coach. At another school the Admission Office was no help. My daughter tried emailing and calling the coach to no avail. After our visit she was on the fence about the school. However, after seeing the team in action she was not thrilled with the coach so that school is off the list.</p>

<p>My daughter has had several phone conversations and face to face meetings with coaches so she has lost most of the uneasiness. The problem is time. With her school schedule and club volleyball practices she is limited to the days and times she can call. If email and contacting admissions does not work then she has to call.</p>

<p>Call the coach and leave a message telling them the time and day you will be trying again to reach them. Also from our experience you can email and they can respond once basically telling you they cannot respond to you until Sept of jr year etc. but you might get a cell phone number in that email.. :)</p>

<p>Emails are considered in the same vein as a phone call and they can not respond to an email (for most sports) before Sept 1 of junior year. When you set the appointment for your campus visit, request a meeting with that coach and they have to arrange that meeting. Be prepared, however, that the coach may choose not to meet with you because of your age so bring along your athletic resume and a if appropriate, a video of you playing. Be CAREFUL about that video, certain sport have rules about what can and cannot be presented in video form. Basketball, for example, has to be a video of you playing in an approved contest. It can't be video of you at practice.</p>

<p>I would suggest you schedule a meeting with the athletic director at your school, along with your parents and find out the ins and outs for your sport.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Be CAREFUL about that video, certain sport have rules about what can and cannot be presented in video form. Basketball, for example, has to be a video of you playing in an approved contest. It can't be video of you at practice.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I know the NCAA has lots of funny rules but I've never heard of that one. I know a practice vid isn't very effective, but I had no idea it was illegal. Do you have a link or source that explains in more detail?</p>

<p>When I was uploading my daughter’s volleyball videos to BeRecruited they have a message that warns you that Basketball and Football videos have to be of an approved high school game according to NCAA rules. You cannot post club, tournament or practice footage.</p>

<p>Did a little sleuthing and found the following:
"It is not permissible to subscribe to a recruiting or scouting service that provides videos of prospects in non-scholastic competition, unless the videos are free and available to the general public."</p>

<p>So it isn't that you can't give the coach a vid of you shooting baskets in your driveway (if you really want to) - it's that he can't pay for a service (like BeRecruited) if they have non-scholastic videos.</p>

<p>varska--It is all on the NCAA website</p>

<p>Couple things
@dreadpirit - what are your reasons for not wanting to call? If you are apprehensive, I can tell you from experience it is MUCH easier than you are imagining. You NEED to get comfortable making those calls, if that is your reasoning. </p>

<ul>
<li><p>Coaches are allowed to send you one piece of mail or email, I believe, before your junior year. Usually they include their cell phone which makes it easier to reach them.</p></li>
<li><p>One thing we heard over and over in going through the process (D verbally committed to her dream school in August before her Junior year) is that you DO NOT need to pay for a recruiting service. If you have the money and/or don't have the time to do the work yourself, no problem. But you can do it all your self, and they do not have an advantage with coaches.</p></li>
<li><p>Sounds like those video rules are specific to basketball and football. We used video extensively - put it all out on youtube and then send links to coaches. We made the vids private on youtube - then we knew any hits were from coaches. Coaches wanted unedited game film, highlight game film, and a skills video in the gym.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>I should think that if the video is posted on YouTube that makes it free and open to the public as per the NCAA. It would also make sense to do so anyway, as it would be the easiest way to get the video distributed.</p>

<p>MNCollegeMom, could you post the link for email contacts?
In our case, coaches did respond to emails to arrange for visits but did not reply to calls or send text messages.</p>