URichmond v. Elon v. Wake Forest

<p>Can someone give me an idea of how these schools compare, with regard to academic rigor, social life, etc.?</p>

<p>Academic Rigor:</p>

<ol>
<li>Wake Forest</li>
<li>Elon (tie)</li>
<li>Richmond (tie)</li>
</ol>

<p>Social Life:</p>

<ol>
<li>Richmond</li>
<li>Elon</li>
<li>Wake Forest</li>
</ol>

<p>Overall:</p>

<ol>
<li>Richmond</li>
<li>Elon</li>
<li>Wake Forest</li>
</ol>

<p>I'm not sure that a student simply ranking the 3 schools in his opinion helps you much - I'll give you more info on Wake and Elon - I am not familiar with Univ. of Richmond beyond what I have read in princeton Review and Fiske. </p>

<p>Wake Forest would come first in terms of academic intensity and rigor - the workload is stenuous. Many students who are used to getting straight A's with some effort in hs find themselves getting B's with a lot of effort at wake. That said - the class sizes are small and all taught by profesors. The work is challenging and stimulating. I know 4 students, including my own son, who just finished their freshman year at wake Forest and all rated the academics very highly. </p>

<p>Elon is a slightly less rigorous version of Wake Forest. Same attributes as far as small class sizes and classes taught by engaging professors. A little more suitable for the student who was a B+ student in hs.</p>

<p>Both schools have a pretty active Greek scene - but only 1/3 roughly pledge a frat - so there are still 2/3 who do not. Both schools seem to have plenty of on-campus activities. Attending sporting events - football games, etc., is popular at both schools. </p>

<p>So, again, just comparing these 2 - I think they are more similar than not. I would suggest that Wake is for the straight A student - or close to it and Elon is for the student with slightly lower grades in hs - but I am a big fan of both schools. Feel free to PM me with questions on either one.</p>

<p>Five excellent schools in neighboring states with a lot of common attributes are Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Richmond, Furman, and Elon. Discussions of campus vibes, social lives, campus aesthetics and student bodies would be quite similar. The admissions selectivity and academic rigor, IMO, would go in the order I gave them. Vandy and Wake have the advantage of greater public awareness in part, because of the prominence of their athletic programs. Wake is an unusual combination of major athletics and high-level academics plus the intimacy of a campus with only 4,000 undergrads.</p>

<p>Richmond is a small school and has a very intimate feel to it. It is tough academically. I think one are that has really improved: School spirit and school pride. Its athletic teams have really taken off lately and the student body is much more involved. School spirit seems to be much better than in earlier years. It has also definitely become more diverse- which is a really good thing! I think UR and Wake are mirror images of each other. Don't know much about Elon unfortunately.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think UR and Wake are mirror images of each other.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Interestingly, a decade ago Wake and Richmond were easily the two highest-ranked Masters Universities in USNWR, but the Masters and Baccalaureate categories don't get the attention that the National Univs and LACs do. Wake and Richmond were both outliers for those two categories - smaller than other universities but larger than typical LACs. They each eventually decided to change categories - Wake to the Natonal Univs and Richmond to the LACs. Today, Wake is around the 30th-ranked National Univ in USNWR and Richmond is around the 30th-ranked LAC.</p>

<p>Well i can help you in comparing UR vs. Wake...don't know anything on Elon. UR and Wake are a bit similar, both in residential areas outside of a small city, pretty rigorous (wake might be a bit more difficult), small, compact campuses with similar class sizes. I'd say wake is more into the greek life and sports than UR is...although UR sports are becoming bigger. hope this helps somewhat</p>

<p>Thanks!
@rockvillemom: you have a son at Wake? Tell me more....</p>

<p>Is Greek life at Wake pervasive? I know my S may consider it, but I don't want him to feel compelled to join. Also, Vandy is a top choice, but I was thinking of schools that may be slightly easier to get into.</p>

<p>college4three - sent you a PM.</p>