USABO: Important Sections/Topics in Campbell

<p>I'm tutoring people for the USABO. I pretty much know all the stuff in campbell, but what are the most important concepts/sections in campbell that students must know in order to pass atleast the opening exam? </p>

<p>Please list the topics/sections, thanks!</p>

<p>What chapter would that be.</p>

<p>Lucifer</p>

<p>I would advise asking this question on basilmarket. You'll get a much more educated response.</p>

<p>Although, I do recommend organismal biology.</p>

<p>RAlec, I would love to do so, as it is common knowledge that the denizens of Basilmarket are the most cordial and intellectual. However, as you already know, I have been exiled from the forums by the most Polish and sagacious Bogdan.</p>

<p>And Apathetic, I seems that I am unable to apprehend the chapter you stated. Perhaps you have a different version of Campbell?</p>

<p>Lucifer, </p>

<p>It appears that I forget things rather quickly. By the way, how did you figure out his identity? I remember seeing that thread (not even realizing that it was you) and thinking that it was nothing more than a troll thread, a fake, or a scam. After seeing your capabilities, I now trust that what you said is in fact true.</p>

<p>How far have you gotten in the USABO?</p>

<p>This is my first year, but I have memorized most of Campbell and can duplicate most of the paradigms, and thus I am entirely confident I will get past the Opening Exam, and most likely Semifinals.</p>

<p>Hello there.</p>

<p>I'd recommend asking Mindstormer. Or Dimo (I KNEW your names looked familiar).</p>

<p>I'd guess Photosynthesis and Respiration would be pretty important. Otherwise, have the people you're tutoring take a short mock quiz to see what their strengths and weaknesses are, maybe a previous USABO test? Then teach from there.</p>

<p>By the way, how much did your copy of Campbell's cost? I tried finding one cheap but I couldn't so I torrented a textbook :P.</p>

<p>My school has copies of Campbell's 7th edition for AP bio classes, so I haven't found the need to buy an 8th edition one. Plus, I already have the entire 8th edition campbell on pdf (I torrented it). But I'm planning to buy the other books like The Biology of Plants and Molecular biology of the cell for extra review.</p>

<p>If you haven't done USABO before, how can you tutor others for it?</p>

<p>As a USABO National Finalist, I can say that you basically need to know Campbell inside and out, Chapters 1-55. If I were to suggest a specific focus, I'd say the plants and genetics chapters are the most important.</p>

<p>Also, get Raven. And take a few practice USABO exams before you tutor anyone just to see how well you know your stuff.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Although, I do recommend organismal biology.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I read that as orgasmal biology. </p>

<p>Where do you live? My son is a Junior and he wants to practice with a tutor who has USABO experience.</p>

<p>I could use some USABO help!</p>

<p>Do we need to know the exact steps of processes like glycolysis and the citric acid cycle?</p>

<p>this is a great thread- keep it up!</p>

<p>is it possible to make a usabo study group? Oh btw can you pm me info if you want to start one on CC</p>

<p>I'd be interested in a study group.</p>

<p>lucifer was banned lolol....she quit this site a long time ago. tough luck kiddos.</p>

<p>well, we can all still make an online study group.
:D</p>

<p>but how would it work? would we have a thread? or a specific time where we all come online and "talk" about the stuff?</p>

<p>oh. woah. i'm late -_-</p>