Use humor in admissions essay?

<p>In what degree of humor can I use in my admissions essay?</p>

<p>Are you funny? If so, go for it, keeping in mind that not all adcoms may share your sense of humor.</p>

<p>Only use humor if you can naturally pull it off. I know many people who will say something that they think is funny, but nobody else thinks it's funny.</p>

<p>If you are one of those people, then be very very careful about your use of humor</p>

<p>Just make sure that you have a grouchy teacher (if you know one) read it before you send it in. He/she will tell you whether it works.</p>

<p>I've been to dozens of college visits and info sessions. This topic comes up at nearly every one of them. Their opinions on it seem pretty unanimous. If you're funny, they really enjoy reading a humorous essay. It's a relief for them, since so many essays are pretty much the same -- my mission trip; I scored the final point of the game; etc. </p>

<p>BUT, if you're not funny -- watch out! Humor can be a huge mistake if you think you're funny and you're not. </p>

<p>Basically, like everyone else has said -- be sure you're funny. (I agree with MD Mom -- have a teacher who does not necessarily share your sense of humor read it and give you their opinion.)</p>

<p>Ugh... There is another thread about this on the front page! Seriously the college essay is about writing in the way that comes naturally to you. If humor and wit come naturally to you then do that, if you are more analytical write in a more analytical style. If a stream-of-conciousness Joyce-esque style is what comes naturally then write Joyce-esque stuff. But please: do not force yourself to write in a way that you are not comfortable with!!!</p>

<p>I had the same question!</p>

<p>Check it out, thee responses helped me make up my mind:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-essays/944746-humor-strict-no-no.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-essays/944746-humor-strict-no-no.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>