Useful Second Languages

<p>What do you all think the best second, third, and fourth languages are to learn for international law/relations, and could you explain why?</p>

<p>Well first of all, you have a HUGE head start by knowing English, because it is the international language of science and technology. But for a second language I would probabley say French or Spanish, due to the large populations that speak it and its internation influence. But honestly, I dont think learning a second or third language is really that necessary if you already speak English.</p>

<p>french, arabic, hindi, chinese</p>

<p>I take french, and even my french teacher agrees that french is a dying language because asia is trying to kill it. </p>

<p>Chinese is a useful language because china is a growing economic power house w/ a lot of people = large potential market.</p>

<p>By importance after English:
German (second international), French (nice language), Chinese (most population), Russian (hey, I'm from Russia!).</p>

<p>Sign Language = most useless language ever.. how many times will you ever see a fully mute/deaf person in your life?</p>

<p>1) Chinese
2) Hindi
3) Arabic
4) Spanish</p>

<p>
[quote]
But for a second language I would probabley say French or Spanish, due to the large populations that speak it and its internation influence

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Don't think that Spanish has a lot of international influence but its good for someone who resides in the US.. French could be called a dying language since there are other languages that are going to suppress it..</p>

<p>
[quote]
Don't think that Spanish has a lot of international influence but its good for someone who resides in the US.. French could be called a dying language since there are other languages that are going to suppress it..

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Of coarse Spanish has a LOT of international influence. It just doesn't has as much as it used too as it did during the age of exploration in the 1500's. Not to mention most Spanish speaking countries are third world. There is no doubt that French is dying, but I mentionaed it because it is the adminstrative langauge of several international organizations such as NATO, United Nations, WTO, EU, Inter. Olympic. Com., etc. French is on the heels of English as the language of science.</p>

<p>spanish: all central america, all south america, spain, philippines, useful in north america etc.</p>

<p>If you live in the US.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Spanish</p></li>
<li><p>Tagalog</p></li>
</ol>

<p>If you don't:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>English</p></li>
<li><p>Mandarin</p></li>
<li><p>Spanish</p></li>
<li><p>Arabic</p></li>
<li><p>French (lots of African countries speak it)</p></li>
<li><p>German</p></li>
<li><p>etccc.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>er why Tagalog? I don't think I've ever met anyone who spoke that.</p>

<p>Latin is number one for students. It helps you in your grammatical skills and learning other languages. On the SATs, you can use it to know the root of the word; if you don't know what it means.</p>

<p>For an asipiring American businessman, the most useful languages will be Spanish and Chinese, based on the current and projected US trade markets with China and Latin America. </p>

<p>I would say French and Japanese are the next most useful after the aforementioned two.</p>

<p>I agree with Jonathan K's list (for not living in US..don't agree with the Tagalog thing) ...I'm a prospective Intl Relations major and this is (hopefully) going to be my list:</p>

<ol>
<li>English - language of business</li>
<li>Chinese - expanding economic & political importance</li>
<li>Arabic - key to current events and thus intl relations</li>
<li>Spanish - 3rd most widely spoken language in the world (below Eng & Chinese)</li>
</ol>

<p>French isn't dead, as it is the language of diplomacy, as ppl have pointed out. Latin is SO dead though...the only times you use it will be at school - taking SATs (can score well on verbal w/o it too), and if you go to Med/Law School (still definitely possible w/o it).</p>

<p>Masterus--um...usefulness on the SAT doesn't surpass usefullness in the world, just fyi.</p>

<ol>
<li>Chinese--expanding global powerhouse, number of people who speak it, etc.</li>
<li>English--most common language among the Western, developed nations</li>
<li>Arabic--current events</li>
<li>German--many corporations in the auto, musical industries are German</li>
<li>French--administrative language</li>
</ol>

<p>My bad prankity. I mean't that it isn't as widely used as some of the other languages listed ( Chinese,etc ) and not how much it has influenced the world..</p>

<p>
[quote]
Spanish - 3rd most widely spoken language in the world (below Eng & Chinese)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Spanish is the 4th most widely spoken lang after Chinese, English and Hindi. This is just fyi.. Dont mean to sound anal..</p>

<p>Gods Favorite, most Chinese businessmen speak English.</p>

<p>Woops... I thought Tagalog was number three. Well... it is in my almanac. lol whatever.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ethnicharvest.org/regions/50languages.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ethnicharvest.org/regions/50languages.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I think learning Arabic would be fun.</p>

<p>So, you don't think Chinese is a useful language to learn?</p>

<p>Yes, I do.</p>

<p>I think there are more important ones, though.</p>