I’ve been accepted into an Ivy League school as a transfer student. However, I’m also waiting to hear back from another Ivy—my first-choice school. Would it be helpful, detrimental, or neither for me to use the first Ivy as a sort of bargaining chip to get into the other?
In theory, I would say something along these lines to the second Ivy:
“I’ve been accepted into (first Ivy), but I really prefer your school, and I would be willing to commit 100% if you accept me.”
I’m especially interested in the opinions of those who have tried this. I know it’s not uncommon to bargain this way with grad schools, but I haven’t seen many examples of students doing this during undergrad.