It’s been over a year since I’ve thought about West Point and I’m actually seriously considering it now. I know I’m super late in the admissions process, but I’m still planning to apply. I read somewhere their rubric for admissions is 60% academics, 30% leadership, and 10% fitness. What are my chances of getting in and is it worth it to start now?
Intended Major: Computer Science or Math
PSAT: 1460 (11th grade)
SAT: 1540 (740 r/w, 800 math), 20/24 essay
UWGPA: 4.0, WGPA: 4.3670, Class Rank: 1/106 (it hasn’t come out officially, but from what I’ve heard, I’m valedictorian)
SAT IIs: Chinese (800), Math 2 (800), Chemistry (800), Physics (800)
APs: Chinese (5), World History (5), Computer Science (5), Calculus BC & AB Subscore (5), US History (5), English Literature (3), Capstone Seminar (4), Chemistry (5), Statistics (5)
- Math Club Founder and President (10-12th grade): I create lesson plans, write handouts and practice problems, and lead meetings during lunch. I also founded and coach our middle school section’s MATHCOUNTS team and I founded our school’s ARML team this year.
- Boy Scouts (9-12th grade): I started scouting at the end of 4th grade as a Bear Scout and I’ve been in Scouting since then, although I took a break for a year in 8th grade (my grades were falling so my parents made me quit for a bit). I’m currently a Life Scout, likely will be an Eagle Scout by the beginning of January, and I’ve been the Senior Patrol Leader in my troop for a year now. I also served as Historian and Patrol Leader before that. Some of my Scoutmasters have been in the military and honestly they’ve (along with my parents) inspired me to apply to West Point and serve some years in the military.
- WEB/LINK Leader (10, 12th grade): I was a WEB leader in 10th grade and a LINK leader in 12th grade. I led a group of 10-15 new students in orientation as well as several class bonding activities throughout the year. We planned all of these events throughout the year. I also led parents around the school during Open House.
- Volunteer at Food Bank (9-12th grade): I volunteer at my local food bank every summer. I currently have around 110 hours of community service.
- Varsity Volleyball (11-12th grade): I was part of my school’s varsity volleyball team in 11th grade and I plan on doing it again this year. I don’t think my school does Varsity Letters since we’re such a small school (we had 11 people on the team last year) or anything like that.
- Volleyball Intramurals (9-12th grade): Before joining the Varsity team, I’ve been playing in my school’s volleyball intramurals.
- Dodgeball Intramurals (10-11th grade): I’ve been a part of my school’s Dodgeball intramurals every year they had it. I don’t think we’re having it this year since the PE teacher who coordinated it left.
- National AP Scholar
- 2018 Fall OMO (Online Math Open) 36th Place out of around 340 teams
- 2018 SrcHacks 3rd Place
- AIME Qualifier (2018, 2019), scored 10/15 this year
- Top 10 in schoolwide essay contest last year
- Top 10% in 2019 Breakthrough Junior Challenge
I don’t play many school sports, but I do exercise a lot everyday. I’ve been kickboxing in my free time for almost 6 years now and I also regularly do pull-ups and curls. I think I could do alright on the physical fitness test.