UT CS Prestige and Parking

<p>Hey guys, I have two questions.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I am most certainly going to UT to study Computer Science. However, I have always wanted to live in the north east and was wondering if I will have good chances of landing a job there after I graduate. I have heard conflicting responses on the prestige of UT outside the South.</p></li>
<li><p>Should I bring my car with me? Some of my friends say parking is too expensive/hard to find and that they will not bring their cars. Do most UT students bring their cars? I know Austin is very walkable and has decent public transportation, but still.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I do not know about the prestige of UT in the northeast, but UT has a great reputation worldwide. As a large university, it has superior research facilities and is considered a public ivy school. It is consistently scores highly in national collegiate rankings.</p>

<ol>
<li>I would bring your car with you. Most of my friends who didn't bring their car regretted it and then brought it with them from their home. It is a pain in the butt to have to rely on friends if you want to go anywhere. Parking around UT is pretty horrendous, but you can park in your dorm or in any of the UT garages for a fee. If you are from out of state, bringing your car might be more of a pain in the butt... since I am from Houston, it is nice to have my car so I can go home whenever I feel like it. I also like being able to drive to the movies, restaurants, etc. I don't use it more than twice a week, but next semester I'll have an internship in NW austin so it's good that I have my car.
Really, it's up to how much you anticipate you'll use it. If you're from out of state, it might be a huge pain to get it there, but if you're from Texas, it's great to have!!</li>
</ol>

<p>I am from a Houston suburb so I will consider bringing it. Thanks,</p>

<p>1) UT's CS program is ranked 8th in the nation, and is a big target school for Silicon Valley in CA. I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I would imagine the 8th-ranked CS program would be respected nationally. The real question is why you would want to leave Silicon Hills, a high-tech CS hub city, for the Northeast!? </p>

<p>2) Some people bring their car, others don't. Parking is expensive and a hassle, but it's never fun IMO to be without your own car. Most things are within walking distance to campus.</p>

<p>I didn't have any trouble getting a job in the northeast as a UT engineering graduate. My boss told me he could tell that my education had been better than my co-worker who graduated from a northeast school.</p>

<p>UT IS respected up here, at least by the people who matter.</p>

<p>andrew, I left Texas because I couldn't take the hot weather! I love everything else about it. I still get back as often as I can.</p>

<p>@Andrew: Thanks. I've never liked the West Coast or anything about it. Always preferred the North East. If UT is a big target school in the centre of high-tech in the US, I will be fine anywhere.</p>

<p>*And while I would not mind living in Austin, I'd still prefer living somewhere else.</p>

<p>@Juan: My son is a freshman at UT, majoring in CS. He's loving it so far. UT CS grads are in demand. The word is that UT CS students are in demand as interns ... paid internships - real $$$, real job .. not fetching someone's coffee. I'm hoping my son will get an internship opportunity this summer.</p>