UVa Mechanical Engineer Curious about Umich

<p>I want to go to grad school at Umich for Automotive Engineering. I'm only a sophomore at UVa, but I'm entirely set on automotive engineering, since I chose to do MechE because of my passion for automobiles. </p>

<p>I called uMich's graduate recruiter and she said there was a 5 year undergrad/grad program (combined). I have contemplated transferring so that I can join this program to get my masters sooner rather than later. Not to mention, uMich's undergrad program is ranked higher than UVa's (not to rag on UVa's engineering- it's quite good, but it's small and doesn't seem to offer much in terms of automotive research- my passion). </p>

<p>Anyway. I'm doing well at UVa's engineering school, and I'm wondering... would Umich's undergraduate engineering program be more difficult or easier than UVa's? (not that it's possible to know for sure) I ask because if I were to continue here at UVa, I could probably graduate with a GPA above 3.5, which would help me get into Umich's graduate program, but if I transfer and hurt my GPA and I don't get into the graduate program, well, that'd make transferring completely pointless.</p>

<p>The program you are talking about is the SGUS (sequential graduate undergraduate study) Program. Its a pretty rigorous program considering that you need a gpa of 3.2-3.6 to be able to do it.</p>

<p>For a masters in Automotive Engineering, you need a 3.6:
Master</a> of Automotive Engineering at Michigan Engineering</p>

<p>For a masters in Mechanical Engineering, you also need a 3.6 (last time I checked).
Michigan</a> Engineering | Multiple Degree Options</p>

<p>For masters in Energy Systems Engineering, you need a 3.5
[</a> Master of Energy Systems Engineering ] [ Michigan Engineering ] [ Professional Engineering ]</p>

<p>I'm not too sure which graduate program you are looking at.
With a 3.5, you have the potential to make the switch to Michigan but its questionable whether or not you will get the gpa for SGUS. You can always petition (and a lot get in through petition) if you want.</p>

<p>Regardless, I would transfer only if Michigan seems like a better school for you overall in terms of cost, social, and the interest in Automotive industry. I should note that the Automotive Research and curriculum here at Michigan ME is really top-notch and I'm sure you would enjoy the atmosphere here (with all the automotive nerds).</p>

<p>Oh and definitely contact the Mechanical Engineering Academic services office if your interested (<a href="mailto:me-aso@umich.edu">me-aso@umich.edu</a>).</p>

<p>Thank you. As for SGUS eligibility, the 3.5 was a conservative GPA (don't want to count my chickens before they hatch). If things go awry, I'd end up with a 3.5, so I'm just being careful not to make too big of assumptions. </p>

<p>I don't think my GPA would be the issue. Basically, my biggest worry is that I'd get there and I'd get the proverbial slap in the face. Would the level of difficulty be similar? I know that UVa and Umich have similar caliber students. The overall rankings are similar (with UVa given a slight lead), but there is a large difference in engineering rank (where Umich trounces).- It's this large gap that worries me that the transition might not be as seamless as I'd like.</p>

<p>Oh, and I'm debating doing SGUS into automotive engineering (meaning I'd spend an extra year after undergrad to get my masters?)</p>

<p>whats the average gpa in your engineering classes at uva? At Michigan, the required ME core are always B-. I think it will be harder, to be honest, because I think the competition will be better.</p>

<p>The average ACT for UMich CoE students is 31. The average GPA is a 2.9 in Engineering, standard deviation is about .45. Use that information to try to estimate what an equivocal GPA at UVA would be by comparing the average GPA and ACT or SAT score there. </p>

<p>I would say a 3.6 is difficult, but that's just me, and if bearcats wanders in, he'll say that any idiot can do it. It just depends on the person. If you're smart and work hard it's achievable, but still hard, in my and I believe most people's opinion.</p>

<p>UVa's SEAS scores:</p>

<p>Verbal 655 Math 717</p>

<p>Top 10 percent of their class 91.5%</p>

<p>^ I can't find the average ACT score, and I'm not sure if you've got average SAT scores for Umich. </p>

<p>Right now I'm just trying to figure out what my best route would be to get into the Automotive engineering Masters program. Right now I'm a bit bored in some respects: I wish there were more people who loved cars as much as I do, and I wish there was more automotive research going on. We do have an electric car conversion club- but they're using lead acid batteries- not exactly innovative.</p>

<p>SAT is 1400 for Math + CR.</p>

<p>oh u should transfer then, michigan's huge on automotive stuff, more than any other school in the world, there's a lot of people very into automotive engineering.</p>

<p>So it doesn't seem that getting the gpa for SGUS would be a problem. I would estimate that if you're currently in the top 30% of your class, you'll be able to do SGUS.</p>

<p>I would suggest applying as a transfer, calling/emailing people to discuss SGUS, grad school, automotive research?, courses, etc. Many of the professors working at the autolab or GM lab would be happy to talk with you about their research (from my experience). Also, if you can, visit the campus and see how its like for yourself. Meet professors first hand and see whats being done (if you do definitely check out the cool collaboration projects that UofM has with GM and Ford). Then when your ready make a final decision whether to attend or not. Regardless of whether you do transfer, it'll be an interesting process checking out Michigan's automotive interests.</p>

<p>Things to check out:
Automotive</a> Research Center
<a href="http://gmcrl-esr.engin.umich.edu//%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://gmcrl-esr.engin.umich.edu//&lt;/a>
<a href="http://me.engin.umich.edu/autolab/index.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://me.engin.umich.edu/autolab/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Oh, and I should also note that the Big Three all recruit heavily from Michigan and the curriculum here shouldn't be that much more difficult than at UVA.
It may actually be easier because there is a little bit more focus on automotives in courses that may gain a little bit more interest in your studies, but then again, the transition in schools may make life a bit more difficult. I'm not too sure, it really depends on the person.. which is why I suggest talking to professors and other people at the ME department.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the advice. I will contact professors. As an in state student of UVa paying through financial aid, so I'm not sure how I'll be able to afford Umich. How's their financial aid?</p>

<p>Stay at UVA and go to Michigan for grad school.</p>

<p>Yea, I've heard that it is a bit pricey for OOS. That's unfortunate.</p>

<p>To j89:</p>

<p>The Big Three BARELY recruit at Michigan. With that said, with their recent struggles, I doubt they've done much recruiting anywhere...Anyways, I'm going to be a 5th-year senior and as far as Big Three recruiting for engineers, I can't ever remember GM or Chrysler being at a career fair, and I have only seen Ford recruiting on campus for IT people. I've followed Chrysler the most because I have 3 generations of Chrysler employees in my family, and right now is the first time I have ever seen Chrysler posting for engineering jobs at Michigan - but it is an outside recruiting firm doing all of the postings.</p>

<p>^ Should rephrase a little. They don't really recruit (in terms of career fairs or direct job postings) but they do hire a lot of Michigan engineers. Yeah, nowadays its not as prevalent because of the economic situation but regardless, UofM is the place to be when you want an automotive job since its not just the big three but also a bunch of auto parts manufacturers and foreign auto companies that do hire Michigan students.</p>