UVA School Of Engineering Essay

<p>Ever since I was a child, buildings, computers, rollercoasters, and anything technologically advanced has caught my eye. As I grew older through my teenage years, I began to truly appreciate and understand how much different our generation has developed from past generations. I still find myself wondering how the world we live in has engineered products that serve a purpose to help the human lifestyle. </p>

<p>I believe this curiosity is the spark of the initiative to learn about the art and understand how these products are created. I feel that the newly engineered products are a prime example of a civilization expanding and developing for the better. The ability to find smarter and more efficient ways to solve a problem has always amused me, and I hope to fulfil this goal as a future engineer. I feel that the world is forever puzzling and every goal an engineer achieves only benefits society. Engineers also create entertainment for people, I feel the Apple iPod is by far the best invention in the past few years. It allowed individuals, who crave tremendous amounts of music, to access their whole playlist in their front pocket. The 420 foot, 120 mph rollercoaster at Cedar Point amusement park wouldn’t be possible if it weren’t for engineers.</p>

<p>All throughout my teenage years I have had a love of math. It is truly the only subject I enjoy with a passion. I usually don’t see math as work, but as the road to learning how things operate. I hope to use my knowledge of math and ambition to develop a successful engineer spirit for the help and entertainment of mankind.</p>

<p>Here's a couple quick thoughts:</p>

<p>"Ever since I was a child, buildings, computers, rollercoasters, and anything technologically advanced has caught my eye." Could you give me an anecdote? Show me something specific -- getting in trouble for taking Mom's cell phone apart, or whatever.</p>

<p>"As I grew older through my teenage years" - one or the other. Grew older, or through my teen... No one grows younger through their teenage years.</p>

<p>Your last paragraph talks about math for the first time. Introduce it sooner. (No new info in final paragraph.)</p>

<p>"It is truly the only subject I enjoy..." Not really something you want to advertise. Tell them you love math -- better yet, show them through examples -- but don't tell them you don't like anything else.</p>