UVA Student Graduates in 1 Year.

<p>In his much quoted epic "The Aeneid," Virgil said, "Fortune favors the brave." Although there is no doubt Virgil meant for the line to define the heroic deeds of the Trojan exiles, the notion of "brave" could easily be applied to first-year College student David Banh, who is graduating from the University this year.</p>

<p>An Early Bird</p>

<p>Banh said one major reason for his desire to graduate from the University in one year was financial.</p>

<p>"A lot of it was financial motivations," Banh said. "It would have helped if I had been a Jefferson Scholar but I was not nominated from my high school. I went to [Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology] so that was understandable. I have some scholarships this year but they expire at the end of this year. And I had always planned to graduate a year or a year and a half earlier anyways, so it just made sense."</p>

<p>Banh said his relationship with his parents was another factor in his decision to graduate early.</p>

<p>"I guess my parents have always been supportive in the way they raised me," Banh said. "They would always make me feel like I wasn't working hard enough. Now doing this, they can't really say anything. Because you can't question if I am doing my best, if not pretty close to it. They definitely don't call me as much as to how I am doing, because I think they pretty much realize that I am very busy."</p>

<p>Banh said he finds his reasons for graduating with only one year of university under his belt to be quite reasonable. </p>

<p>More at:<br>
<a href="http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=27010&pid=1443%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=27010&pid=1443&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wow...
Definitely impressive.</p>

<p>Whoa, he was in my class (TJHSST '05). Interesting.</p>

<p>That sounds like an awful way to spend a year. I feel sorry for him. He missed out entirely on the college experience.</p>

<p>second that ^^. I mean the whole college experience is not just all about academics. I feel sorry that he feels that way and his parent gave him no support basically.</p>

<p>I agree. It's a shame to have to rush through college in that way. What employer or grad school really seeks a 20-year old anyhow?</p>

<p>I think he's going to pursue a Ph.D. Apparently he's going to get the college experience then.</p>

<p>This is a posting on my colleges website.. same type of story...</p>

<p>Do you remember what you were thinking about when you were 17 years old? Will that cute red-head in homeroom accept my invitation to the prom? Will Dad let me borrow the car Saturday night? How am I going to get rid of that big zit in the middle of my forehead?
Ben Gunther has far more complicated thoughts going through his brain. Like which university to choose to pursue his Ph.D. in cognitive psychology. Or organizing his “imagination inflation” research project to present to the Lehigh Valley Undergraduate Psychology Conference. Cognitive psychology deals with the study of memory, decision-making, and other brain functions like language and intelligence.</p>

<p>Ben’s affection for cognitive psychology was stimulated by a research project he assisted on with a local college professor during its summer program for high school students. Ben then designed and conducted his own research project that lasted for three semesters. </p>

<p>By the way, when Ben receives his York College degree this spring, he will have just turned 18 years old.</p>

<p>Uh, Google, Microsoft...</p>

<p>this seems horrible...</p>

<p>how can you possibly take 37 credits? That's like 36 hours of class time a week? If you do the 3 hours of studying for 1 hour in class idea, then that's 108 hours of studying, which is 144 hours total. That would leave 20 hours a week to eat and sleep...</p>

<p>my school puts the limit at 18 credit hours a semester, and up to 20 with special permission.</p>

<p>I also agree with edvest1.</p>

<p>what do you expect from a TJ kid?</p>

<p>DS was facing a similar issue if he had replied yes to his acceptance at UNC. Since we are in-state (NC WISE system) they had access to his transcript early on. Given his past track record with his previous AP exams and his courses this year he was looking at matriculating with 78+ semester hours. And this did not take into consideration actual coursework he had taken at the university level, including more math, bio and chem, pushing the credits well into the 90's and 100.</p>

<p>He would need to meet his upper division major requirements and a few upper division GE's but that's it. This time next year he would have been looking at grad schools. Of course this is with him actually using the AP credit rather than repeating all the courses. He could have always opted to not use them, use them and double major, or use them for a dual degree. UNC was not the only school which accepted him where such advanced standing would have been possible.</p>

<p>However, for the same reason he did not graduate high school several years early, or matriculate to a science/math high school magnet or our state's math/science boarding magnet, he did not opt for the 78+ units an UNC. For him, it is much more about the process. He feels like his AP courses wetted his appetite for more, much more. Gave him a glimpse of what was out there, a peek at something much deeper.</p>

<p>We had laid it all out in a chart which schools would take what and how much of "what". After looking at it all, he came to the conclusion he didn't want to use it, not in the sense to "get out" of those classes once he matriculated. Rather he wanted to use it to determine what he liked and enjoyed and to prepare himself for a more in-depth process. He is still planning on taking his many AP exams this week and next and is studying hard for them.</p>

<p>But again, as in high school he wants to really enjoy his time there and the classes. Maybe he will use some but I think very, very few, if only to allow him to take something he might find more interesting. And I know this was part of his reasoning when he chose the school that he did.</p>

<p>Can you imagine 37 credits in 1 semester? Wow.</p>

<p>Kat</p>

<p>I feel sorry for David Bahn, also. What a waste! I'm willing to bet that his suitemates are about the only people he got a chance to know in his 29 weeks of college. What about late night coffee and discussing politics or the articles he read for class? It never happened - how sad. :( And I sincerely doubt that he had time to meet any "significant others"...)</p>

<p>In addition to feeling sorry that he missed the experience of starting to grow up at college and learn more about yourself and others, I was struck by this part of the article:
[quote]
Banh said his relationship with his parents was another factor in his decision to graduate early.
"They would always make me feel like I wasn't working hard enough. Now doing this, they can't really say anything. Because you can't question if I am doing my best, if not pretty close to it.

[/quote]
How much of this do you think may have been a subconscious thumb-biting in the direction of his parents?</p>

<p>When reading the article, it never once struck me that David was making a wrong decision. I can understand why most of you would feel that he did. I have yet to meet an 18 year-old that could have withstood such a schedule and still be sane, and for this young man to take on that feat is crazy. But, he appears to have had a good handle on the situation. He had known the implications of his decision and addresses them well. He never laments over graduating in a year and supposedly missing out on the college experience. He doesn't say that he felt any more isolated and different to his peers than if he had not chosen to graduate in a year. He simply accepts that he had to do without some luxuries for that one year. He knew what he wanted and went for it. Now, he has it. To me, that is an accomplishment. He chose the road less travelled and he did fine. He didn't come across as someone who was regretting his decision or suffering from it, and I thought his reasons, which primarily seemed to be financial, for doing what he did were valid. </p>

<p>Was he ambitious? Yes. Did he put himself at a disadvantage? Time will tell.</p>

<p>my boyfriend did about 30 credits one semester and about 40 the next semester. He graduated in 4 years but took a full year off.. so he did that ful year of credits as extra in those two semesters.. a bunch of them were credit by exams...</p>

<p>If it's not illegal or immoral, who are we to judge....</p>

<p>Yes, he may be missing on the "college experience" but so do others who work during the day and go to school at night. People do what they feel that they have to do....</p>

<p>Theres a kid in my uni who got his BA in 1 year, and then an MPH and a JD within 3 years and hes going to med school next year.</p>

<p>Actually, I have a different question...at both of my kids' colleges, IF you take more than 20 credits you have to pay dollars PER CREDIT to do so. At DS's private school the costs are over $600 per credit. Also, the time...yikes. And the textbook costs too....but to each his own. I don't think you get the "college experience" in a PhD program...but anyone graduating from undergrad school in one year is not likely looking for the "college experience".</p>

<p>Maybe the "college experience" isn't for everyone.</p>