UW Madison vs. UIUC

Hi all, I would like to get your thoughts on attending UW Madison (hoping to major in pharmacology and toxicology but need to apply for that major in 2 years) or UIUC (chemistry major). I’ve been admitted into both schools and currently plan to pursue pharmacy school after undergrad. I’m an MN resident so it costs me roughly $20,000 more to attend UIUC and I can make that work but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. Any advice or thoughts are welcome!! Thank you!

Zero percent chance that I would spend more to attend UIUC.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate more? My son is facing the same choices :slight_smile:

1 Like

The two are equivalent for everything but engineering, and Madison is a far nicer place to spend four years than Champaign-Urbana, IL.

It may be worth it for engineering.

2 Likes

They are equal and even close enough for engineering. If not going into CS engineering go less expensive. Madison is a much nicer campus. Put the money in the bank

2 Likes

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa State, Purdue, Michigan State are all equivalent schools.

Illinois often gets the nod for engineering because someone in the 50’s invented the transistor there… but the student profile at these midwest schools are interchangeable.

Transistor:

John Bardeen - Wikipedia.

Here’s a map of land grant colleges:

1 Like

There’s no good reason to spend extra just to go to UIUC.

1 Like