Hi everyone! I’m currently deciding between Smith and Vassar, and any input would be helpful at this point. I was given a Zollman scholarship + STRIDE at Smith (don’t qualify for financial aid), but I’m instinctively leaning towards Vassar at the moment. A little bit about me:
• I’m considering majoring in biology and/or anthropology
• I’m interested in joining some kind of music ensemble and doing community service, but I’m not very athletic
• I’m quite liberal/leftist and definitely want some degree of activism in the student culture but not at the expense of expression. That is, I would hope there is culture of open discussion and respect even if someone’s values do not necessarily align with your own
• Looking for a close-knit, supportive, collaborative community and an academic environment that is rigorous and intellectual but not so stressful that there’s no time for other pursuits (extracurriculars, etc.)
• I’m also most likely going to grad school, so does one have a better reputation/advising?
• Also Smith has almost twice the endowment of Vassar- is that important in any way?
• Not sure about all women vs co-ed
I don’t have the opportunity to visit, so any information at all about general student culture, social life, campus vibe, etc. would be very helpful!