Vegan muffin? or cookie?

<p>I'm trying to make muffins or cookies as a treat for our employees. But several are vegans (it is Portland, after all). I've tried two recipes and the results were inedible. Yes, these are cyclists with incredible appetites, but really... these were bad. Someone must have a recipe or two that works. Please share. Thank you!</p>

<p>dmd, the PCC store near my workplace sells vegan stuff from Flying Apron Bakery. I'm not a vegan, but I like their stuff!</p>

<p>I know this is of little help right now since you can't get their cookbook instantly, but it has good reviews on Amazon (look for *Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book *).</p>

<p>Maybe you can find something here? Vegan</a> Cookie Recipes</p>

<p>Italian Panforte works for vegans (and I like it too)
Panforte</a> Recipe at Epicurious.com</p>

<p>And active cyclists love its nutty/dried fruity dense richness</p>

<p>I am not vegan either, but Whole Foods vegan chocolate-chip cookies are AMAZING!</p>

<p>The problem isn't BUYING vegan stuff--I too have found vegan stuff at the grocery store. It's cooking it. And the recipes I've tried have been dreadful. I'm looking for a recipe that someone has actually cooked themselves.</p>

<p>I suggest finding a recipe for something like banana bread that uses oil as the fat. Then use Ener-G egg substitute for the eggs.</p>

<p>Try this one, for example, and use EnerG for the eggs:
<a href="http://www.its.caltech.edu/%7Ebjorker/Protocols/Banana%20bread.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.its.caltech.edu/~bjorker/Protocols/Banana%20bread.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I have an awesome vegan muffin recipe. Everybody that I know loves it. (Not vegans -- I actually made them yesterday and between my parents, grandmother, and a friend, there are two of the dozen left). It's from the cookbook Vegan Brunch -- if you go to Amazon and search inside the cookbook, make the bakery style berry muffins. I've made them with both blueberries and apples, and both versions were really good.</p>

<p>Also, if you can't find the recipe, let me know and I'll PM it to you. In my forays into vegan baking, I've had much more success with certain cookbooks than recipes posted online, I think because most cookbooks have a pretty thorough testing process. For baking, the books by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero have been pretty reliably good for me.</p>

<p>Thanks Eireann. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. (And yes, I was able to find it.)</p>

<p>A few months ago I made some Anzac Biscuits after my son saw them mentioned in a novel. They're an Australian cookie -- chewy on the inside, crisp on the outside, made with oatmeal and coconut. I can't remember which recipe I used but there are many on the web and most are similar. They don't use eggs, but do call for butter or margarine. Just use a vegan margarine -- Nucoa is one option, widely available in regular grocery stores in our area. This might be the recipe I used: Anzac</a> Biscuits I - All Recipes It did call for "golden syrup," for which I used maple syrup. The cookies were delicious. My son and his buddies loved them, and a neighbor who drops by our house recently asked when I was going to make more. A reviewer said the dough didn't hold together well, so when I scooped the dough onto the cookie sheet I squished it together a bit to keep the cookies from falling apart. It's a quick and easy recipe, too.</p>

<p>The Banana Chocolate Chip muffns from The Joy of Vegan Baking are awesome! Many of the others are terrific too. It's definitely about having the right ingredients but then just trying things out. The chocolate chip cookies from TJOVB are great too. Let me know if you want me to type up any recipes, I have a lot of great recipes fromthe web and the cookbooks. :)</p>

<p>The Anzac Biscuits were a brilliant suggestion. I made them with sesame oil in place of the butter (because that was what I had). I feel certain everyone will like them tomorrow morning. I sure do! Thank you.</p>

<p>Glad to hear it!</p>

<p>dmd, just an FYI - neither butter nor honey are vegan. If your friends are true vegans (veganism = no animal-derived products whatsoever), they will really appreciate that you made the substitution.</p>

<p>There are a LOT of vegans here in Portland, BB, and believe me, I know the rules. (My daughter and my sister are both lacto-ovo vegetarians.) We have a winter solstice parties for our employees, and since I'm the organizer, I have to make sure the restaurant has something to serve them. This year three employees chose the vegan stuffed squash. (I had a taste; it was great. Certainly something I'd make myself.) </p>

<p>If anyone cares, the organic vanilla animal crackers at Costco are also vegan (the ones that come in a big tub).</p>

<p>Resurrecting this old thread to post the newly learned thing:</p>

<p>Vegan</a> Cupcakes Take Over the World</p>

<p>Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, according to DD who has a bunch of vegan friends, does not have a single bad recipe. 288 reviews on Amazon and it still gets a 5-star rating. Wow. The cupcake I just tasted was delicious :)</p>