Veterans and College Admission Officers

<p>Wow not sure where this thread belongs, but anyways...</p>

<p>...there’s a considerable possibility that I’ll be joining the military. I would much prefer to attend college, but because of my family’s financial situation, I have little choice but to join the Air Force.</p>

<p>I would then eventually get my college education after serving active duty for about four years.</p>

<p>Now recruiters keep emphasizing on how the military pays for college education, and yes it is true to some extend. The GI Bill does pay about $10,000/year for four years after an honorably discharge from active duty.</p>

<p>What I don’t know is what kind of education I will receive during and after serving in the military.</p>

<p>As a 24-26 year old veteran, how will colleges view me as an applicant?</p>

<p>I don’t wish to attend a community college or a small unrecognized university, but rather a more prestigious school such as a your average state school.</p>

<p>I still have not made my final decision to join, but if joining the military will jeopardize my acceptance to a university I’m worthy of attending or decrease the value of my education, then I may just not join, but instead, pull out student loans. </p>

<p>Is there anyone in here with knowledge in affairs between veterans and admission officers? </p>

<p>I have a really bad gut feeling about joining and its affects on my education.</p>