Virginia tech, penn state, or university of south carolina

<p>Virginia tech, penn state, and USC are my top three choices for college. </p>

<p>I enjoy partying and I'm a northerner. Academics are also very important to me I will most likely be perusing a business career. </p>

<p>Which one do you think I will enjoy the most.</p>

<p>So, you're OOS for all of these schools? Business major?</p>

<p>*GPA:3.2
SAT:1240/1830
*</p>

<p>Are your parents willing to pay all costs? If so, then probably Penn State - Smeal. However, if you don't get into Smeal, then whichever school you like better....South Carolina or VT. Have you visited them? </p>

<p>If your parents aren't willing to pay all costs, then you probably need other choices. Penn State is over $40k per year for an OOS student.</p>

<p>I applied to Penn State and VT last year and got accepted into both. I visited both schools and to be honest, I love them both, but I ultimately chose Tech because of the instate tuition and that was the best decision of my life to become a Hokie.
Is that your stat? 3.2 and 1280? I think your SAT is fine but GPA is on the low side for all three schools. The average GPA for Tech 2011 was 3.95 and if you are out of state, it will even harder (unless if you already got accepted early decision for Tech). Be sure to have good rec letters and killer essays. </p>

<p>Again, Tech is basically isolated on the mountain side but the parties arn't that bad. However, since it is an engineering school so there are more guys than girls here. If you are a freshman then it kinda hard to find a party sometimes (but I never had any trouble finding one, never went home without going to at least one party in the weekend). Penn State probably better on the party side but both school offer you good academic overall. </p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>Yes those are my stats
3.2 GPA
1240/1830 SAT
My essays and recs are phenomenal </p>

<p>My parents are paying for 100% of my college expenses. As far as my stats go, I go to very competitive highschool and we feed into those three schools. I have already been accepted to USC. Virginia tech is very easy to get into from my school. For tech everyone is accepted with a 3.0 and above. As for penn state I applied summer and I have alumni</p>

<p>When will you hear from Penn? Don't they have rolling?</p>

<p>Yeah I applied back in October and for some reason I haven't heard back yet :/ idk why it's taking so long</p>

<p>They may be waiting to see mid-year grades???</p>

<p>That really is surprising to hear that VT is taking anyone over 3.0 from your school. I would imagine being OOS and your particular school must be the difference. My son was initially waitlisted instate in 09 with higher SAT's,1360, 3.55 GPA( top 16%)AP scholar with distinction with excellent EC's. The average GPA these days for VT is more as vtpremed describes. My son was lucky to get off the waitlist with a final GPA over 3.7. I think the only reason he did get accepted off the waitlist was because of his higher SAT's . Good luck. All three schools are great.</p>

<p>It is also a function of the major you've applied. I was accepted engineering early decision OOS but heard a bunch of buzz on the boards that ED acceptances for engineering were pretty tough this year and many were deferred pending mid-year grades. My grades were good, class rank in top 5% and a 700+ SAT Math and think that put me over the top. A lot of kids from NOVA were disappointed to be deferred and I do think the bar is set a little higher for them. I think many that were deferred will get in RD. Aside from that, I've seen lower GPA's and SAT's in other programs accepted ED. Architecture and engineering are the most selective at VT.</p>

<p>Both a Penn State and VT are great schools and you can't go wrong with either. Being OOS, VT is a really great value and the average starting salaries for their grads is over $51k (ranked #5 beind the likes of Duke, Stanford and others).</p>

<p>*Being OOS, VT is a really great value and the average starting salaries for their grads is over $51k (ranked #5 beind the likes of Duke, Stanford and others). *</p>

<p>I don't know how relevant that is for a business major. It's likely the large number of engineering grads at VT is pushing up that number since Engineers are starting at $60k+.</p>

<p>The business school at USC-Columbia is very good. Its rated number one for International Business, which is a surprise to many people. </p>

<p>PennState is Big10. VaTech is ACC. USC is SEC. To some people, that makes a difference, depending on what conference you prefer for sports. </p>

<p>The culture at each school is distinct. But they each have their benefits and pitfalls. </p>

<p>PennState is clearly the largest of the three and for some people that also makes a difference. </p>

<p>At USC, there is a strong 'beach contingent' of kids who like to hit up the fabulous South Carolina beaches when the weather is warm. Its also close to Charleston for those who like the ambiance of one of the best preserved antebellum south communities. </p>

<p>Also, USC has the fewest "northerners" most likely in attendance but that is also changing. For some kids, they like being in a new environment and making new friends, instead of just a repeat of high school. </p>

<p>But you can't go wrong at any of these schools. Your pick.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>For business, I'd pick Penn State. Note - Penn State treats out of state students the same as in-state for admission purposes - there is no disadvantage to being out of state. 1/3 of U. Park is now out of state students. However, I believe admission to the business program at Penn State is more difficult than for the general population.</p>

<p>Probably Penn State</p>

<p>I don't know how relevant that is for a business major. It's likely the large number of engineering grads at VT is pushing up that number since Engineers are starting at $60k+.</p>

<p>Actually, the stats indicate that biz majors come out pretty close to this number especially in acctg. and fin.</p>