Visiting Philly late Aug, no car

<p>So we are moving S to Penn (from Calif) on Aug 28th. We are staying in the area for a couple of days and would like to see the sights. We are looking for hotel & restaurant & things to see ideas...nothing too fancy. It's just H and me. </p>

<p>We would like to go to DC & NY but will have our luggage and aren't sure best way to deal with that (day trip on train?). </p>

<p>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>capenn15- my oldest will be a senior Penn SEAS this year. Two hotels "on campus" in walking distance, Inn at Penn & Marriott. They become incredibly pricey during move-in though and might be totally booked. You can stay anywhere in Center City and hop on the subway, very easy to use. We tend to stay at either of the Marriotts in Center City during "high traffic" times. There is a subway stop right next to the Courtyard Marriott. </p>

<p>As for restaurants, the best "nicer" restaurant that is walkable is Pod. It's Asian Fusion. Penne at the Hilton Inn at Penn is okay. Pod is our favorite, and if you like funky upscale Mexican look up Disitro which is also in University City. There are plenty of great restaurants in Center City & Rittenhouse Sqaure. I recommend Amada & Devon Seafood Grille. Center City also has many typical chain restaurants. And don't miss the great Philly Cheesesteak "taste-off" opportunity. Take a cab to Pat's which is right across from Gino's, wait in line at each and you decide which is better. University City is also known for it's "food trucks", which go from the typical hotdog, to gourmet donuts, to crepes. Don't be afraid to try it, and sit on a bench and watch the kids go by.</p>

<p>The Amtrak station is at 30th & Market & is a walk or cheap cab ride from University City. You can get to NYC in an hour & fifteen minutes! We live on Long Island, and my son often takes Amtrak into the city and meets us at a Ranger game, and gets there in the same amount of time as we do. And takes Amtrak back to Penn the same night. He has also met us in DC, and I think it was 1 1/2 hours. Very easy. </p>

<p>Feel free to ask any other questions.</p>

<p>D2 went to Philadelphia for college (Bryn Mawr) and would often take the train into NYC to meet my H when he was in the city for business. The trip is a little over an hour from the Amtrak Station in Philadelphia to Penn Station in NYC. NYC is an easy day trip--I'd leave your luggage in your hotel room in Philly. Trip to DC isn't too far, but it's probably not an easy day trip. My D went to visit her older sister and brother-in-law (who live in DC) several times. She drove once and hated the traffic. I think it took her a little more than 2 hours. She took Amtrak for her next visit to DC and thought it was so much easier than driving.</p>