volunteering @ shands

<p>I'm an incoming freshman and would really love to volunteer at Shands starting in the fall. I have all the necessary paperwork, etc... but I was wondering if this is advisable to do my first semester. Will it be too much to handle? Also, I'm a bit nervous for the interview.</p>

<p>any advice you could offer would be great!</p>

<p>You're only scheduled one day a week, for 3 hours at a time (for example, Monday from 5 pm-8 pm). It's very easy, and if you absolutely have to miss, you can come in at a different time, or stay longer one day, or whatever. The volunteer coordinator will advise against this, but truth it, the hospital and departments are so large that they typically have no idea whether you are there or not for your scheduled shift. Nor do they really care (this is especially true in the ED). The interview is not a real interview - it's more of an orientation. You go in, they go over the responsibilities for your area, your responsibilities as a volunteer, and then they schedule you for additional training if your department requires it (the ones that do are the NICU and Emergency Department, as far as I know... and the OR, but you aren't allowed to do that until after a year of volunteering). It's pretty difficult to get in as a volunteer, so I recommend calling the day it opens up for new volunteers to schedule an interview - this is usually at 8 AM on a Monday. The place will be crazy, so keep calling until you get an answer. Also - know your first, second, and third choice areas. Your first choice may already be filled!</p>

<p>How far is Shands from UF campus?
Do they have frequent bus service?
How long is the bus ride?</p>

<p>Shands is part of UF... it's on campus. It's over by Archer though so whether or not you want to walk or take a bus would depend which part of campus you're coming from.</p>

<p>Yeah, it's pretty much on campus, but on the south edge... facing Archer, which is a major road. If you live on campus, walking is doable, but annoying, because it's up a major hill. I'd recommend taking one of the many campus buses that can take you there. If you don't live on campus, you can schedule your shift to be during when you are on campus if you want, or you can park in a nearby parking lot for free after 8 PM. Here's more information... Volunteer</a> Service - Getting Started - Shands at UF</p>

<p>Which tend to be the hardest departments to get into?</p>

<p>All of them, just because people are so desperate to volunteer - but I'd say it would be the Emergency Department, Pediatrics, and the NICU, in that order. Add the Pediatric ED to that list for this year, too, because it just opened.</p>

<p>By the way - they will be accepting new applicants August 15th. Call them first thing that morning to schedule your interview if you are interested.</p>

<p>^Thanks and I will!</p>

<p>Whew, got my interview! The line was packed for 30 minutes.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Whew, got my interview! The line was packed for 30 minutes.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Haha, I started calling at 8 and my call only went through 40 minutes later. I got an interview in the department I wanted, so I'm a happy camper.</p>

<p>electricchapel and ZapadniyRus, which department did you guys get an interview for? I started calling at 8.10 and they picked up at almost 9 lol</p>

<p>
[quote]
electricchapel and ZapadniyRus, which department did you guys get an interview for? I started calling at 8.10 and they picked up at almost 9 lol

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Emergency.... I have some 300+ hours in the ER in high school, by far one of the better experiences in my life.</p>

<p>How bout you?</p>

<p>I'd love to volunteer in the emergency department! but I have no experience. I got an interview for the labs. I wanted pediatrics though, but it was full by the time they picked up the phone. lol</p>

<p>Pharmacy :)</p>

<p>I assume you guys are doing the pre-health track too then? Are you guys thinking of volunteering anywhere else?</p>

<p>Yes I'm doing pre-med, but I don't think I'll have time to volunteer at any other places. I have to work. Are you considering volunteering somewhere else ZapadniyRus?</p>

<p>I don't know, I might if I find that I have a lot of free time. It'd be nice to find a job somewhere to.</p>

<p>Good Luck! :)</p>

<p>Called this morning starting at 7:30. They picked up after 10-15 minutes. Got an interview for Pediatrics!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Called this morning starting at 7:30. They picked up after 10-15 minutes. Got an interview for Pediatrics!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ah, that's why the lines were busy so early. I thought the volunteer services office opened at 8</p>

<p>How long does the interview process last? I managed to get an interview for the Emergency Department, but do you have to have experience in it?</p>