Voter registration/Absentee Ballot

<p>Make sure your kids register at home and arrange for their absentee ballots, folks--EVERYONE deserves a voice in this election.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/opinion/keeping-college-students-from-the-polls.html?scp=1&sq=voter%20college&st=cse%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/opinion/keeping-college-students-from-the-polls.html?scp=1&sq=voter%20college&st=cse&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>My D was able to vote in the state of her college in '08, but I had to get involved with the registrar in order to make sure she was allowed to register. There were veiled threats about voter fraud that upset her but just riled me up.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/24/us/justice-department-rejects-voter-id-law-in-south-carolina.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/24/us/justice-department-rejects-voter-id-law-in-south-carolina.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>And here is another attempt to disenfranchise voters, attempts of which are wide spread throughout the country.</p>

<p>One would think it would be easy to get your kids to fill out an absentee ballot. Just try it with a kid swamped by school work and voter registration manned by volunteer retirees, who aren't the brightest bulbs. In other words - allow lots of time - don't wait until the last moment.</p>

<p>My son was able to register and vote where he goes to school. His vote will also count more in the state he's in next year rather than where we live.</p>

<p>We had a terrible time with our two kids in college with absentee ballots in 2008. </p>

<p>Thinks for the reminder. Will have another voter going off to school next year. Need to plan ahead!</p>

<p>Have the students bring passports to use as ID when registering to vote in the locality of their school. Will the disenfranchisers reject a passport as ID indicating one's right to vote?</p>

<p>I've voted both ways and I generally advise voting where the student will be going to school. There seem to be a lot of annoying complications that can crop up with the absentee ballot-- though the ones I encountered seem like they can be avoided so long as you register to vote at the office in person. It's worth checking out all the options.</p>

<p>My college boyfriend actually requested and submitted an absentee ballot in the last presidential election, and then was told that he was not registered to vote when he requested one for the next election cycle. That was weird!</p>

<p>The problem is that the locales where the schools are located are trying to keep the students from registering at school. It is happening largely in conservative areas where the fear is that the students will vote differently from the community. When my D was given some trouble, I told the registrar I just wanted her treated the same way the Lynchburg registrar was treating the kids from Liberty. More than 10% of Lynchburg's registered voters are Liberty students. My D didn't have any trouble after that.</p>

<p>Kids move on and off campus, from one dorm or apartment to another every year. The likelihood of forgetting to re-register your address is a big one, and not always the most pressing matter for a college student.</p>

<p>When S1 was waiting on his ballot in 2008, it was still in the mailroom at his university, because he had changed from one student housing building to another, but forgot to update his address in time. He very nearly couldn't vote because that year. S2 had a late bday, so voter registration was tough for that election, since you have to register by a certain deadline. We didn't even take a chance about sending it to campus - mailed it to home and then to him, directly.</p>

<p>Since then, my kids have opted to get voter registration through home address and we just pop their ballot in the mail to them in a manila envelope. They aren't really all that concerned with the local issues at their campus, and much more familiar with the community and local events from home.</p>

<p>MSNBC has been covering this issue for months. </p>

<p>Rep</a> Moore on MSNBC talking about Voter Disenfranchisement - YouTube</p>

<p>Could</a> voter ID law disenfranchise disabled residents? - Local News - Nashville, TN - msnbc.com</p>

<p>The</a> Maddow Blog - Voter ID bill passes ugly in #Wisconsin</p>