waitlist protocol

<p>If you have accepted a spot at a school, but remain on the waitlist of your first choice, what happens if you are offered a spot off the waitlist? Assume you would lose your deposit, but would first school expect family to pay full tuition as well?</p>

<p>I don't think so. I am almost certain (for most boarding prep schools at least) that the only money someone would loose is if a person withdrawals before the first major payment is due would be the deposit. Most people usual split the tuition up in two payments. I believe the first major payment for most boarding schools is in mid July or the beginning of August. The only way you may get that money back after you send in the check would be if you purchase tuition insurance. You may only get a certain percentage of the money back though, and not all of it. I am in the same situation as you. I know if the school I am on the wait list for contacts me after my parents send the first major payment (August 1st) I would only get 70% of that money back. But it may vary depending on what school you are enrolled at. I am sure you can call them, or they have it on there website.</p>

<p>Thank you- sounds like once that first big check is written that's it for other options. So hard to give up on first choice.</p>

<p>My advice is to love the school that loved you best. It's easy to overlook a gem because you covet something you think might shine brighter. The reality is that the universe works out the way it should and the school that took you without reservations may be putting you on the right path to your future.</p>

<p>We were in this situation ... signed acceptance letter to school #2 was on the kitchen table and we'd decided to love the school that loves us, while playing the long odds on #1 school. If i remember, #2 school had a June 1st cutoff. You either had to pull out by June 1st or you owed the full amount for the year, even if the first payment wasn't due until July something or other.</p>

<p>So my advice is to read the contract closely that you're signing, know what that cutoff date is, know your limitations and how far you're willing to go. And play your cards. The % are against you as time goes on, so it's important to listen to Exie -- love the school you're in. There are lots of great stories here and in the real world of kids who found themselves at the school that loved them.</p>

<p>Our story had a happy ending on April 8th -- we got into #1 school at the last minute.</p>

<p>I have to agree with both exie and steelguy. By the way, what school were you waitlisted at, because that matters a lot. There is still a chance to get off (for some schools at least) sometime in June when current students have to commit, that is what one school said at least. But don't count on it. It is a slim chance, but it happens.</p>

<p>Be careful about relying on tuition insurance. The plans I've seen require a child to actually attend the school and withdraw for certain stated reasons before possible reimbursement of tuition paid.</p>

<p>


</p>

<p>Yes, every tuition insurance plan we read required student attendance. The standard amount was 2 weeks.</p>