want to go to CSUpomona LOW gpa help!

<p>I'm currently attending Cypress College and want to transfer to CSUpomona but I got all Cs first semester and seems like I'm gonna end up with all Bs and 1 C this semester. I don't know what I've been doing all my life but it just hit my recently that my future is endangered. I know I can get better grades and I want to make the difference NOW!
I heard application start oct.1,2010 for CSUpomona and that is so near. I will probably only have a 2.5-2.7 (depending how I do during the summer) GPA to show them. Can anyone give me some insight on what I should do? I don't have any extra cirricular stuff under my belt. :(
Oh yeah, I want to go for ME and I heard their ME is competitive. Am I out of hope? I want to pursue ME and there is nothing else that interests me. Please help!</p>

<p>You really need to do some legwork and get on websites and read what is going on with CSUs. I just did 5 minutes of cruising on CSU Pomona's website and figure out that their program is impacted and getting in ME is strictly based on GPA. (ECs are not an issue, so why do you even bring them up???)</p>

<p>2.5 and trying to transfer into an impacted major? I think you will be out of luck this next transfer cycle. The squeeze is on - students are being turned away from the CSUs. </p>

<p>By all means go ahead and apply - no one knows the exact floor of how low of a GPA they will take before running out of space next year. But, also start making serious second plans.</p>

<p>It used to be a student with a 2.0 - 2.5 could get into almost any CSU in most majors. Those days are gone. If the CA budget implodes much more the CSUs could turn into a place where only kids with 3.0+ get a seat in their classrooms.</p>

<p>Would majoring in EE increase my chances in getting into CPP? Also if I get a bachelors in EE can I get a Masters in ME?</p>

<p>I just don't know what to do if I don't get in? Any suggestions? Community college for 3rd year? Or should I apply to lesser cal states? </p>

<p>I know they start accepting applications in October, but I just want to gather my mind together for right now. I just came here to see what path to take to become an Engineer because I couldn't find anyone in the my situation to talk to. I haven't heard any stories of Engineers who had this low of a GPA in community college. However, I don't want to give up yet.</p>

<p>What I read in my 5 minutes on CSUPomona was that all the engineering programs (EE/ME, etc) are impacted. They are not taking local vs non-local into account when they take transfers - just GPA.</p>

<p>What is your local/closest CSU to the CC that you have the most units (that is how CSUs determine locality)? Try that CSU, because you may be taken as part of the first "pool" of applicants. However, if your local CSU is Pomona, then you are (see para #1) out of luck there. See then if there are any other nearby CSUs that consider you to be "local" - sometimes the geography overlaps between two CSUs in terms of what they consider local.</p>

<p>This is going to be very hard for people to grasp here in California, where for years EVERYONE eventually got into a CSU and usually for their choice of major. This is starting to go away - it already has - it has caught a bunch of kids with 2.0 - 2.6 GPAs in impacted majors. Some may be able to switch majors and reapply, others might be able to go to a very unpopular campus and get into a non-impacted major. But a few more years of CA cutting money to CSUs and many thousands of students will be completely out of luck with CA public colleges. The money only goes so far and CA is choosing to subsidize only kids with high enough GPAs - and that threshold keeps rising.</p>

<p>So - get aggressive about finding out info - meet with a CC counselor. Read websites.</p>

<p>You may also want to consider private colleges - might have to be tier 3, but you can get a great education at a tier 3. You can also try out of state - I know several kids who went to public schools in Utah. I think the CSU equivalents in Oregon require a 2.5, but check that out. They love CA kids who pay full freight out of state prices - good school for you, good money for them. I have another friend with a 2.9 who just threw up his hands at CA schools and went to Ohio for school. Kids are having to get creative and try other state colleges.</p>

<p>Sorry the news is grim - you need to strategize here and apply to CSUs you think you can get into and then throw a few safeties (maybe privates or out of states - if you can afford it).</p>

<p>Thanks for giving me some REAL information. The closest CSU would be in following order Fullerton, LB, CPP. I want to avoid Fullerton if I can because there are alot of "tricks" going there that I know of and that I don't want to run into. But looks like reality slapped me across the face telling me that I should be lucky to be accepted anywhere.</p>

<p>Like you suggested, I will start to actively seek information on transfering and start looking for schools where I might have of shot of getting into. Thanks again for giving me a cue on whats really going on in CSUs.</p>

<p>I am currently a 4th year ME at cal poly pomona and I can tell you now that, that GPA will probably not get you in. The chances of you getting in is low, I say this because they're even trying to weave out the people already in.</p>

<p>And from what it looks like, you don't take your schooling serious and ME is probably the hardest of most majors offered at CPP. About 2/3 of the people that come in drop out.</p>

<p>The ME department is also heavily impacted right now so they're really not too lenient on who they let in now. It's an awsome program and if you get in congrats but it won't be easy and you better be prepared to work for your degree.</p>