Want to transfer, but I have 72 credits and I'm non-traditional

<p>I am a student of non-traditional age due to a long break in my academic career. I left my reputable state college years ago having already earned 72 credits. I am currently taking some extra credits this summer at a community college to save money before I finally go back to my old school, so I'll have 78 credits come fall semester.</p>

<p>I had some significant issues with my old college and dream of going somewhere else. I'm guessing it's an impossibility at this point, as most top colleges take a maximum of 60 credits. Are there any top schools that take up 90 credits? My long-term plan involves relocating from the east coast out to CA anyway, so in my fantasy, I get to transfer all my credits and attend a UC school. But even then, I'd have to live there awhile to be considered in-state, right? But I suppose there is no choice but to finish at my old state school this far along anyway.</p>

<p>The top schools you speak of only ACCEPT 60 credits. So apply wherever you want, but just know that 30+ credits that you have accumulated will not be counted towards your degree.</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply. I would rather tough it out at a reputable school I hate than throw away all of those credits, of course. Any idea if there are top-notch schools that accept more than 60 credits though? Maybe if I did some sort of 5-year program that would balance those outside credits through the extra year there?</p>

<p>Rochester Institute of Technology doesn't have a limit. They just require you to take 45 quarter credits in your major there. Binghamton University takes up to 80 credits from 2-year schools, and up to 88 from 4-year schools.</p>

<p>That's all I know of personally.</p>

<p>Wow, very helpful. Thanks, sarzilla!</p>

<p>there are a bunch of SUNYs that take 90, but those aren't top schools. though if you're on the east coast, it might be easier than going all the way to CA</p>

<p>attend a community college in california. Anything under 80 units from a 4 year private and you're still OK from what I understand, as California community college units don't count against you in that regard. Check the UC forum for more info(and to verify I'm not off)</p>

<p>Directly from the University of Wisconsin-Madison website: "The maximum number of transferable semester credits from a two-year college is 72. There is no credit limit on transferable credits from a four-year university."</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.umuc.edu%5DUMUC%5B/url"&gt;http://www.umuc.edu]UMUC[/url&lt;/a&gt;] has an extensive online program, accepts up to 60 CC credits and up to 90 credits from 4-year institutions. It also has very generous policies for credit by exam and credit for work/life experience. Inn addition to the online offerings, there are live classes on and near military bases at multiple locations in the US and around the world. If you just want to get done, and get on with your life, it could be a good way to go.</p>

<p>Most schools require you to spend two years there to earn their diploma no matter how many credits you came in with.</p>

<p>Also, post your UC questions on the UC transfer board. There are UCs that will not consider transfers with many more than 60 credits.</p>

<p>I really appreciate your responses, everyone. I haven't responded because I don't have regular access to the internet. I'll look into these options.</p>