Want to transfer from CSU to UC after going to JC. Need help picking classes at CSU.

<p>It is complicated but I am starting my second semester at a CSU. I realized that I want to go to a UC and major in something to do with international relations and possibly economics. This will be my last semester at a CSU. I am not sure what classes I should add/drop. Here are my options because the semester just started.</p>

<p>Statistics
Criminal Justice
Cultural Anthropology
Macroeconomics
British Lit to 1800
Honors Philosophy (Have to take)</p>

<p>I don't mind taking a lot of classes. I just don't know which ones I need to transfer to a UC.</p>

<p>I've already taken:
General Bio I
Honors Communications
Introduction to Music
Introduction to Psychology</p>

<p>AP Scores:
English Lit 3
US History 3
European History: 3
Gov: 4
Studio Art: 3</p>

<p>Please help, I dont have much time to decide. </p>

<p>Most likely my intended major will be Global Studies or Political Science-Public Policy and I am aiming to get into UCSB through TAG. Things will be a lot easier once I switch to a CCC. Thanks to anyone that answers.</p>

<p>Don't take too many classes, for UCSB, the College of Letters and Science does not accept applications from students who have earned 135 or more transferable quarter (90 or more semester) units from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions. Source: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf&lt;/a> page 16.</p>

<p>drop all of them and just take the philosophy class. trust me.</p>

<p>Why would I just take the Philosophy class? Won't at least some of the other classes transfer? I have to at least take 12 units.</p>

<p>Ayyyyyyy I'm in the same situation as you bro hahaha.</p>

<p>I'm only taking 12 units right now for Spring 2012.</p>

<p>I took only 6 units for Fall 2011.</p>

<p>I go to a CSU and this is my 2nd semester, but I'm planning on transferring to my local CC for 1 year then use TAG to hopefully get into UCSB.</p>

<p>As the others have said, don't take too many classes.</p>

<p>Because if you have more units from CSU, you will be considered a CSU transfer student when you are applying for UCSB. Not a CC transfer student.</p>

<p>CC transfer students have top priority as you may already know, then UC transfers, then CSU to UC transfers.</p>

<p>But yeah we are in the same boat right now lol.</p>

<p>Well I'm gonna take summer classes at a CC so I'm not really concerned with having more units at my CSU. It's good to know that someone else is in my situation.</p>

<p>Do you want to be a lawyer? Your major choices seem to indicate pre law.</p>

<p>If so, I'd advise you against transfering to a UC, law schools really don't put much emphasis on undergrad institution</p>

<p>because you want to have the less possible units at csu! i was in your position once and i'm glad i only took 3 classes. Now i am transferring to uc's.</p>

<p>I would rather get some kind of job involved in government. I don't want to become a lawyer. I plan on double majoring in Econ. But I could always change my mind and try to become a lawyer. I will probably apply to law school after I graduate just to see if I get in and keep that option open. I want to go to a UC because it has a global studies major, will be a better college experience, and will look good on an application, no matter what I decide to do.</p>

<p>I do not quite understand why it's bad to have a lot of classes from a CSU. I'll qualify for TAG by going to a CCC for a year and by having more units from a CCC. And the max units to transfer to UCSB I can have is 90 but I shouldn't be even close to that. I'll probably be at about 70. I understand that some classes might not transfer but it seems like classes like criminal justice, stats, cultural anthropology, ect will transfer</p>

<p>I guess what I'm asking is: why should it matter that I have a lot of units (like 30) from a CSU if I'm already guaranteed acceptance to UCSB through TAG (assuming I make the requirements)?</p>

<p>meh do what you want then, to each his own, take your advice.</p>

<p>@briane777, read the PDF to see what the restrictions are. Some of the UCs put a maximum cap on COMBINED units so you become INELIGIBLE for admission consideration if you exceed the cap.</p>

<p>@briane777</p>

<p>You're not listening dude.</p>

<p>If you have more credits from CSU, than CC you will be considered a CSU student when you transfer to UCSB.</p>

<p>CSU students are the last ones looked at when UCSB takes in transfer students.</p>

<p>If you have less CSU credits, and more CC credits you will be considered a CC transfer students.</p>

<p>and CC transfer students get 1st top priority!</p>

<p>Ms sun: it says "UCSB: The College of Letters and Science does not accept applications from students who have earned 135 or more transferable quarter (90 or more semester) units from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions." So I should be fine considering I'm only going to have like 30 from a CSU and will take more than 30 at my CSU.</p>

<p>Tony: I will be taking more units at a CCC than my CSU because of that fact. I'm dropping out of my CSU after this year and am going to go to a CCC for the summer, fall, and spring. Therefore I will have more units at a CCC. </p>

<p>I'll probably drop a 3 unit class so I'll have 14 units instead of 17 becuse I need at least 12 units.</p>

<p>@briane777</p>

<p>You mean after this Spring 2012 term right?</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>@AskMsSun Do you know if our previous CSU units/classes would impact our application when we are applying to UCSB after we grab our IGETC requirements and 60 units???</p>

<p>Yes I meant after this spring term.</p>

<p>@briane777, you are fine now but you want contingency plans. What if you decide to enroll in CCC for another year? What if you don't get admitted for whatever reason? Also remember that CCCs evaluate CSU courses differently than UCs. There are too many unknowns for you to commit money/energy to CSU courses if you can do CCC courses instead.</p>

<p>@TonyStark93, being a "reverse-transfer" student does not affect your eligibility. You will be evaluated on your academic abilities like everyone else.</p>