we just had a rare earthquake

<p>Wow. VT to MI is a long way and it was felt here. Some buildings were evacuated.</p>

<p>We felt it here in Toronto but it wasn't a strong rumbling. I wondered if it had something to do with all the nonsense going on here this week with the G20! Heard from a friend in Ottawa that it was much stronger there which isn't too surprising since the epicenter was apparently about 30 miles north of there.</p>

<p>I guess I am not totally nuts when I said it lasted around 30 seconds. </p>

<p>Here in this article....it says the same:</p>

<p>
[quote]
The USGS said the quake occurred at a depth of about 12 miles. The agency initially said the quake had a 5.5 magnitude, but later reduced it to a magnitude-5.0. The quake occurred at 1:41 p.m. ET, the USGS said.</p>

<p>The quake lasted for about 30 seconds, rattling downtown buildings and homes in Ottawa and Toronto, as well as government offices across the Ottawa River in Gatineau, Quebec.</p>

<p>Several buildings in Toronto and the Ottawa region were evacuated.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Canada</a> quake also rattles N.Y., other states - Americas- msnbc.com</p>

<p>And the further away from the quake, the longer the waves. So 45 seconds might be right. It was also a very shallow quake and that explains why it was felt so far away.</p>

<p>Yeah, here is more...</p>

<p>
[quote]

Magnitude 5 earthquake rattles Eastern Ontario</p>

<p>Updated: Wed Jun. 23 2010 3:19:38 PM</p>

<p>ctvottawa.ca</p>

<p>One of the most severe earthquakes ever recorded in Eastern Ontario rocked the region around 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday, swaying buildings and pushing pictures off the wall across the area.</p>

<p>The United States Geological Survey pegged the tremors as reaching magnitude 5, which is severe enough to cause building damage. Several government buildings in downtown Ottawa were evacuated in the moments after the quake, although most people were let back in after only a few minutes.</p>

<p>"The Roger Guindon building of uOttawa was evacuated after the earthquake, We're back now thankfully," tweeted Jason Anthony Tetro.</p>

<p>Thirty seconds of tremors</p>

<p>Tremors in Ottawa lasted about 30 seconds, with thousands of tweets talking about the sensations and the damage that each person felt in the area. Power was also knocked out in many areas of the city temporarily, although it was restored within an hour and a half of the quake.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>CTV</a> Ottawa- Magnitude 5 earthquake rattles Eastern Ontario - CTV News</p>

<p>We felt it New Haven as well. I was in a meeting in a high rise, but only on the 6th floor, and we had to stop the meeting to find out what happened.</p>

<p>It's probably like the one during Easter. California, Arizona, and Mexico (I don't know if any other states felt it like New Mexico).</p>

<p>
[quote]
We felt it New Haven as well.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>^^^Really? One of my daughters is in New Haven right now. I haven't spoken to her today though. </p>

<p>My other daughter Skyped me from Switzerland about 25 minutes after the quake and so I said, "guess what just happened?" and she could not have guessed it in a million years as we don't typically get quakes in Vermont.</p>

<p>I noticed the quake in Michigan also--4th floor of a building.</p>

<p>We were on the first floor of our house in MI, and my mom could see it. I didn't. I was afraid she was having a stroke or something, she said she saw the floor swaying. I was looking right at it and couldn't tell.</p>

<p>Ha ha. D texted me while I was at work and asked if I felt it. I didn't and can't understand why.</p>

<p>However, I have felt several others in upstate NY. We do have them.</p>

<p>I am less than 30 miles from the epicenter of the quake. Pretty scary when you see windows moving. All buildings had to evacuate and that was scary part because 1000's of people just standing on the street amid all of the high rises continuous sirens and absolutely no cell phone service. Even the land lines went dead for a awhile. They claim phone service was due to overuse, I do not envy those of you that have these more frequently or those in places like Haiti. The scariest part for me was complete loss of contact with my family for about 1 hour. When we got home almost every picture on the walls were on the floor and our dog was shaking to no end. It was definitely a rock and roll afternoon</p>

<p>Hahaha, I'm from Vermont but was in Quebec and didn't feel it because I was swimming in a lake!</p>

<p>My office is on the 2nd floor and I could not feel a thing, but many others in my building did.</p>

<p>The LPGA is here this week for one of their major tournaments and practice had to be stopped for a while. Wonder if any putts dropped in because of it (a la Caddyshack)</p>

<p>Was in my office, in Michigan, and all of sudden I felt queasy for no reason. I noticed the water in my bottle moving, and then it passed. I also had the sensation of moving. I thought, well this is it, I've lost my mind - lol. </p>

<p>I was content to let my momentary <em>trip</em> go without letting any one know. I eventually read that I had felt an earthquake. The funny thing was there were several of us who thought we had a crazy moment and just suffered in silence. :D</p>