weed-out classes

<p>Does Carleton have them?</p>

<p>OK, I'll ask...What is a weed-out class?</p>

<p>I think you mean weeder.</p>

<p>A weed-out class is an introductory class (usually in a math/science area) that's designed to screen out students who aren't a good match for a major. A guy on my floor, for example, took a weed-out physics course last term and survived without dropping it or failing it. He's just declared a physics major (and has a newfound sense of accomplishment :)).</p>

<p>So yes, Carleton has them--they're the same types of classes that serve a similar purpose at most colleges.</p>

<p>Calc II and Organic chemistry are considered to be among the hardest classes that are not really advanced for a major in the field (I think they are most failed/dropped classes at Carleton). Not sure if they would be considered weed-out, or not.</p>

<p>How about Bio 125? (Son is basically a humanities guy, with a side interest in biology; would be nice if he could pursue that side interest without getting "weeded").</p>

<p>Great. I have a question - I took the equivalent of Calc I junior year, so with the new system, I'll most likely place out into Calc II (I looked at the online test already). The problem is, I really don't remember much of Calc at all - would I completely fail at Calc II, or does it really have nothing to do with Calc I (I've heard both things)?</p>

<p>I should probably ask this somewhere else too, but it was worth a thought.</p>

<p>I was wondering about Bio 125 as well. Tour guide at Swarthmore told us that Bio was a weed-out class there.</p>

<p>I placed out of Bio 125 so I took the other intro class, Bio 126. I wouldn't say it's a weeder class in the sense that it was designed for students to fail; it was the only big lecture class (and by "big" I mean like sixty people, ha) I've had and because I knew most of the material already I didn't attend lecture that often. The lab component was essentially learning basic lab skills, like how to micropipette. But although I didn't struggle in the class, I was turned off from pursuing the bio major because I saw how many other people I would potentially have to compete with for spots in the smaller upper-level classes. (Bio 126, by the way, is about energy flow through systems, but I just looked over that sentence and if it's not Darwinism for majors then I don't know what.) After intro, I did take a mid-level bio course and, unsurprisingly, the professor was much more engaged in the material, the course was challenging, and the lab was actually interesting and fun.</p>

<p>I usually think of weeder or weed-out classes as classes at very large schools where they really don't have room to accommodate all the students who think they want to major in x. They also used to be used to weed students out of college altogether in some places, though I suspect that is less common. In any event, I think at small LACs, the courses may be difficult and may be intended to give students a taste of what they might encounter if they move on, but they are not specifically intended to reduce the number of students that pursue the discipline at a higher level.</p>

<p>I asked around for you--Bio 125 is definitely not a weed-out class, and everyone had great things to say about it (even non-majors).</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies. I was wondering because my daughter is in bio this term and is struggling a bit. While not a math/science person she has always liked bio. Since this is her first bio class, she must have skipped 125. Would that make a difference?</p>

<p>Bio 125 is not that bad, I think. From what I have heard, it looks like a normal bio class. There was a problem with some students not liking their bio prof in 126, I think, but they change every 5 weeks, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.</p>

<p>reesezpiecez103, if I didn't remember much calc 1, I would retake it in college, just in case. But Calc 2 wouldn't require much calc 1, although solid foundation would be necessary. If you take calc 1 fall term, you can take calc 2 winter term with Jon Armel, arguably one of the best math profs at Carleton to teach calc 2. He is extremely good at explaining concepts (especially to people who do not really like math), and he makes the course much more bearable.</p>

<p>Hmmm. I don't think I'm going to take Calc I, so perhaps I'll wait until winter term to take Calc II anyway. :) In my experience, the quality of the teaching makes all the difference in math...</p>

<p>That would work too. You would also have enough time for a review of calc 1 in case you decide to have one.</p>

<p>I was looking at the A&I dyad thing, where you take a philosophy & bio class together, and the bio class was Bio 125 "Genes, Evolution and Development". Is that different from the "normal" Bio 125 everyone's been talking about here?</p>

<p>^Sort of. In college, there will never be more than one class with the same class number, but in this case, Bio 125 has two sections: one for freshmen (125-01) that is part of the dyad and one for everybody else (125-02). Other than that, they're essentially the same</p>

<p>I remember Calc II being a big weed out course for Math/Sciences/Pre-med. I remeber it was a class with perhaps a C+ average. Calc II is a weed out course at many Universities and colleges though.</p>

<p>^Calc II = BC calculus, yes? Carleton accepts a 3 on the BC calc exam as credit for Calc II, which is weird because it's really easy to get a 3. If Carleton's Calc II is so difficult, why would they accept such a low AP score for credit?</p>

<p>^In order to get credit for either Calc I or Calc II, you have to take the next math course in the sequence and pass it. So the only people getting actual credit for Calc II are the ones who can pass a higher-level math course (which I believe is MATH 211, Intro to Multivariable Calc, though I could be wrong).</p>

<p>I think I heard somewhere that either Calc I or Calc II is one of the most often failed classes at Carleton. I think for a lot of students it's a necessary evil.</p>