Weighing more on the Canadian Universities?

<p>I applied for graduate school in Computer Science (international student here) at some US and Canadian universities; I’ve received acceptance from Maryland, but have heard nothing yet from UBC, Alberta and Waterloo. Maryland expects me to inform my decision before 15th April.</p>

<li><p>Is there any possibility in getting an extension for the deadline from Maryland?</p></li>
<li><p>For what its worth, Maryland ranks at no. 13 in US News rankings for Comp. Sci graduate schools. I haven’t been able to find any rankings of both US and Canadian universities as Computer Science graduate schools, so I’m not sure where the 3 Canadian universities stand in comparison. Research wise, I like Maryland and Alberta better than UBC and Waterloo.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>However, with the Canadian universities, if I get admitted, there is the option for me to stop after the M.S and apply to a different institution since I’m applying for the M.S program, whereas with US universities I need to continue to the Ph.D (if I manage to do the M.S successfully). This is the main reason I feel the need to wait to hear from the Canadian unis. Is this a good enough reason to weigh more on these unis?</p>

<p>I dont know how Maryland will feel but I think that waiting until everyone gives you a solid response about admission and funding it a good idea. Remeber, you’ll be relocating to and spending at least two years of your life at ones of these places so the more information you can get, the better.</p>

<p>Email them and ask, I think that’s a fair enough reason. You shouldn’t be penalized b/c Canadian and US schools have totally different timing for these things. I don’t think at least. Hope it works out!</p>

<p>I’m still waiting on Alberta too, but for library science. I don’t know why they’re taking longer than American universities, because the deadline for applications was more or less identical to other schools who have long since sent out decisions. Another problem: they won’t make financial aid decisions until June.</p>

<p>My DD heard from UK schools in Feb, US schools in March and is still awaiting Canadian schools, it must be their style</p>

<p>So is it alright to tell them directly that you need to wait from other universities, and ask for an extension?</p>