Went from a constant 1.9-2.0 gpa per semester to a 4.0 this semster. It is possible

<p>Most people realize their lack of success at tech deals with a fundamental flaw in the notions of what they are up against.</p>

<p>Most people will be challenged in a way that they have never been before. Its not how smart they are. The fact is that they cant deal with the emotional exhaustment.</p>

<p>Case in point. </p>

<p>Example, Bill just came back from a calc 2 test. He had been studying over the whole weekend. He thought he was going to do well. Realized he studied everything that was not on the test. Tomorrow he has a computer science. He has no energy now because he came back from the test deafeated. He doesnt care what happens to his grade at this point. All he can think about is getting through the test cycle and then passing out. Makes perfect sense to him by that point. </p>

<p>Entered Tech this way. I always thought learning could be done the night before the test. </p>

<p>How wrong I was.</p>

<p>At tech, it is less about how smart you are and the more machine you become. Period. I started getting A's in my classes when I could get to the test and not even have to think about what to do. That is the edge you need.</p>

<p>How develop the edge? </p>

<p>Step 1:Devalue yourself.</p>

<p>The way I did this was to 1,: suck it all the f-up. That meant if the next 3 weekends were going to be spend mastering the material then damn straight I was going to get it done. </p>

<p>Doing this destroyed whatever life I had. It will destroy yours to and most people cant do it. Most guys feel pretty bad they cant get laid. Feeling sorry for yourself is the best way to find yourself under the average for every test.</p>

<p>Step 2: Work capacity.</p>

<p>What good is car if it can go super fast, but cant go very far? Pretty much what tech is like. Kids here were mostly smart and breezed through, never understood the first thing about perservering when the going gets tough. Your number one mission at tech should be a paradigm shift in your mind that there will always be people who will go for it during the test while you are contemplating if this was a bad mistake coming here. </p>

<p>Step 3: Positive attiude.</p>

<p>Me as wall as others have come back from the brink of whatever is out there where you dont know *** is going to happen in your life because all you have been met is with failure after failure, the first time you got off your mom's tit. </p>

<p>Like me you would first make excuses of why it didint go well, then go chill with your buddies. Then it turns into sorrow drunk after a while. Then by the end of the semster, depression that you cant achieve what you would like.</p>

<p>Most people would quit trying by this point to fix it. They dont know how.</p>

<p>Secret: All there is to it is to clench your jaw, and try to vizulize how hard it will be and how many hours you will put in, then go for it. Dont look back. I assure you will face setbacks your first couple of months maybe semesters, like me, like almost everybody here. The greatest life lessons I learned about who I was and what was capable, where the moments where things were total in the ****z, but pulled through somehow. </p>

<p>Most of you reading this wont be able to do this, because subconsiously your self efficacy is too high for you to think you would ever be in my shoes. Remember you are in the big boys league now.</p>

<p>Keeping a positive attitude is very important. Without that, chances are you will suffer in every other category. </p>

<p>For those nervous about entering tech or may experience a tough start, it is possible to go from a D to an A after the semester's progress report. So if you receive an unsatisfactory, check if your class load is too much or if your study habits need some adjustment - then try again.</p>

<p>I know a lot of people here who take 15+ credits all the time and some of them have their grades suffer for it. They tell me it is to save money, but, in my opinion, it is better to take 12 - 15 credits and get A's than taking more than 15 and getting 1 or a few B's (or maybe worse).</p>

<p>Still in high school, but this is good advice. Thanks bud</p>

<p>Another tip I have for people is building their self confidence academically as well as physically. Research shows that the two have direct correlations in terms of mental health and well being. </p>

<p>There were times where I would be so frightned to come back to physics 2 studying that I would make excuces to do other productive things. I would go on a 20-30 mile bike ride. Exhausted, I would realize that there was no way physics 2 was harder than that, and would come back and the problem wouldnt be too bad in the least.</p>

<p>What phenomenon was that?: Mental block.</p>

<p>Mental blocks happen to everybody. It originates within the subconcious where the subconsoiucs is scanning for clues trying to piece together a puzzle and think towards the future. It saw physics 2 as bullcrap nonsense? I was not even aware of it, but my mind had alredady defeated me. </p>

<p>I am not sussible to those any more, but they do come and go even for the best. The only thing you can do is harden you rmind build yourself confidence.</p>

<p>Last night when I went to bed and knew I got a 4.0 and looked back at my life, I realized how pathetic I was. pathetic that I accepted limitations to what I was capapble of doing. I don't let my subconcoius limit me like that anymore. </p>

<p>I tell my friends I have a black heart, meaning I would do ANYTHING to get the job done. If I could break into my professors office and steal the test I would. If I could bribe I would. Simple fact: you cant.</p>

<p>There is no easy way around it. Accept it then make a plan. Having a pen and paper helps because when you can define a problem, the solution naturally arises.</p>

<p>This is an excellent post. Being self-aware and in control is essential to success. As long as you can take a step back and look at your life objectively, you can make yourself do anything. Of course, succeeding at Tech still takes intelligence and a lot of discipline, but you can improve both with practice--I promise.</p>