West Coast/Minnesota schools with pretty high test scores, decent GPA, very little EC

<p>Male, White
Middle Class, suburban high school in Minnesota</p>

<p>First choice schools:
Reed (probably a stretch I’m sure)
University of Washington
University of Oregon
Lews & Clark
Evergreen State College
Macalaster
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities</p>

<p>Other Possibilities?:
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Willamette
University of British Columbia
New College of Florida maybe</p>

<p>Test Scores: (took each once, not retaking)</p>

<p>ACT:
composite: 34
Math: 35
English: 35
Reading: 33
Science:31
Writing: 10</p>

<p>SAT:
Total: 2140
Critical Reading: 760
Math: 680
Writing: 700</p>

<p>PSAT: 229 (national merit possibility as I understand it?)
My school does not offer AP classes at all.</p>

<p>Grades:</p>

<p>GPA unweighted: 3.65
School doesn’t have weighted grades.
Rank: Around 33%.</p>

<p>Taken mostly the more demanding classes offered. This includes college chemistry, college physics, college geography, college art history, which are all the college classes offered besides college english in the liberal arts/sciences. (these classes have special requirements and count for credit at a local state college).</p>

<p>EC:
varsity cross country 9-12
varsity track 9-12
50 hours food shelf/kids against hunger.
volunteer teacher’s aide for 2 summers at children’s art classes (about 80 hours total).</p>

<p>That’s all the EC for High school (I actually did more in middle school…). I do lots of extracurricular studying, but nothing for any kind of organization.</p>

<p>Chances? Suggestions for better fits?</p>

<p>Oh, and add knowledge bowl to EC.</p>

<p>Bump…</p>

<p>Being a Portland native, you have an excellent chance at every school in Oregon that you listed. You do know that Reed is very… alternative (to use a euphemism)? Like me, you have created a list that is very realistic. Those test scores are amazing; they are your golden ticket. What is your intended major?</p>

<p>shoe in for madison and twin cities</p>

<p>I’m aware that Reed is “alternative” in attitude. Communism, Atheism, and Free Love sound good to me. I really don’t know what I’d like to major in, except not business or law. I like philosophy, though.</p>

<p>An issue with my grades that might affect decisions: I got a C+ first quarter english 9, C+ first quarter english 10, C+ second quarter french 3, and a B- in comp 11 (at least I brought it up from a failing grade). Are adcoms gonna be like “***, can this kid not do english/language classes?”.</p>

<p>Portlander here too. I can say that you’re almost guaranteed acceptance. at every single one of those schools. Except Reed. I think you’re screwed with Reed because of GPA and rank.</p>

<p>Is it possible to include middle school achievements in ECs? In 8th grade I cofounded, edited, and was the largest contributor to a creative writing magazine at my school. Tried doing this at my high school but we didn’t have enough submissions to actually turn out the magazine.</p>

<p>I think you’re set for UW (:</p>

<p>No; generally one is asked specifically for extra curricular interests during high school.</p>

<p>Also, I didn’t think that colleges looked at quarter grades… Do they show up on your official transcript? You should get a copy from your guidance counselor and check it out.</p>