</ul>

<p>Reasons I'm afraid I won't like Westco:</p>

<ul>
<li>noise</li>
<li>general crapiness compared to Fauver</li>
<li>gender neutral bathrooms</li>
<li>lack of cleanliness</li>
</ul>

<p>Basically, if I knew I'd get a two-room double at Westco, it would totally be my favorite. If I knew I'd end up in a one-room double, I'd probably prefer Fauver. So my question is: what are the chances of getting a two-room double at Westco? </p>

<p>Another question: if you submit the Westco application, does that pretty much mean you'll end up in Westco? What does the application look like?</p>

<p>you're chances are pretty good. there are only three or four one-room doubles (mostly in Unit-2) out of ~sixty rooms in the whole place.</p>

<p>I was wondering the same thing. I'd love to have a two-room double at WestCo. When do dorm applications get sent out?</p>

<p>I believe there are only 4 one-room doubles, and they're all pretty big. (possibly bigger than fauver doubles. one of them is especially huge.) there are about 60 frosh in westco so your chances of getting a two-room double is about 52/60. </p>

<p>I think the housing form is available in may or june. westco is listed under the CBLV (community based living) section. all you have to do as a frosh to apply to westco is select 'absolutely necessary' on the housing form. you probably will get in if you check that box.</p>

<p>I'm thinking the same way as the OP. I know it's not the nicest of facilities on campus, as compared to brand-new Fauver or whatever, but do you guys think the experience makes up for it? I feel like it would. What's it like really living there, bathrooms and all?</p>

<p>here's my take on it: I think if the community/people/mission of westco appeal to you, you should no doubt live there. </p>

<p>I don't know anyone who has lived in westco and complained that they wished they had lived in fauver/clark for the facilities/appearance. but I do know people that live and fauver and clark that wish they had checked 'absolutely necessary' for westco. sidenote, fauver can be just as noisey, and as for 'cleanliness,' well, let's just say I could tell you some really gross things that happened in clark and fauver... </p>

<p>there's a good chance that you'll get over the way the less-attractive dorms look. I think I said this in another thread, but a huge majority of the student body will live in a superficially unattractive dorm, ie butts or a foss hill dorm--most people who live in clark/fauver will probably try to get into hewitt as sophomores, which facility-wise is essentially the same as westco. most people that live in clark/fauver requested them because they wanted the all-frosh dorm experience, and that's what people like about them. the nice lounges and air conditioning didn't hurt, but it's not what people will be nostalgic about.</p>

<p>as for the gender-neutral bathrooms... I'll abstain from commenting as I don't want to skew things too much with my personal opinion.</p>

<p>Thanks, jarsilver. I've basically decided on Westco.
One more question: how do living in an all-frosh dorm and living in a mixed dorm differ? Like, in terms of social life and the overall first year experience and everything...</p>

<p>(warning, generalities ahead...) people in all-frosh dorms tend to bond a lot with their hall, since everyone is trying to meet people. in mixed-year dorms, the sophomores may or may not want that, since they already have friends. that's generally why many people request the all-frosh dorms (well, that and they're the nicest facilities-wise). </p>

<p>it's a bit different in westco, though, because of the community aspect and since sophomores had to apply to be in it, they usually want to meet and make friends with frosh. there's probably more inter-grade interaction in westco than anywhere else.</p>

<p>Yet another question: can you request a specific person as your roommate if you want to live in WestCo? I feel like I read somewhere that you can't, but I can't figure out where.</p>

<p>yes, you can. if you both request each other on the housing form, and select westco as absolutely necessary, you will be put together in westco.</p>

<p>Is it a bad idea to be in a single freshmen year? pro/cons?</p>

<p>So I heard that it's rare for freshmen to be put in the WestCo two-room doubles because all the sophomores snatch them up first. Is that true?</p>

<p>untrue: there's only one hall that has one-room doubles (down 2). everyone else gets two-room doubles. so that's like a 6 in 7 chance of getting a two-room double. maybe what you heard is that it's rare for first-years to get singles in westco, which is true.</p>

<p>thank you so much.</p>