What are my chances in becoming a doctor

<p>I'm am (was) a junior in High School. (School gets out in a week) I got a 29 composite on my ACT. It still puts in the 96th percentile. I got a 36 in math (99th%) 30 in science (97th%) 27 in english (86th%) and a 22 in reading (59th%) and I was just wondering what my chances are of becoming a doctor. I am currently sitting at a 3.8 GPA and am ranked 40 in a class of 700. I had some mess-ups in freshmen year and have been paying for it since. I also volunteer at a local hospital. So, what do you think my chances are of going to med school and becoming a doctor? Also, should I retake the ACT? I know I can repeat in math and probably improve in science, but I don't know about english and I have no clue what happened in reading.</p>

<p>We can't tell you your chances of getting into medical school/becoming a doctor because both of those two things are too far into the future and depend on other factors (ie your academic performance in college) that aren't set yet. Chancing you (for pre-med or integrated medical programs) also depends on the colleges you're planning to apply to.
I personally think repeating the ACT would be a good idea since you've only taken it once; your math score is great and your science score is good, but reading and English do need some work, especially if you're planning on applying to top colleges.</p>

<p>Well, since you are not yet in college, no one can really "chance" you at any MD or DO schools. When I was a junior in high school, I was in the same situation you are in right now. I'm applying to vet school this fall (a little different), so I can give you some advice. Do well in college and get excellent grades. The average for MD school is a 3.65 and DO is a little lower. You will also need to take the MCAT for med school. Pre reqs for med school are usually a full year of chemistry with lab, a full year of biology with lab, a full year or organic chemistry with lab, a full year of physics with lab, a full year of math (can be calc I+II, calc+ stats, calc+ college alg, etc), writing and communication courses, social science courses, and arts/humanities courses, and sometimes your choice of a 300/400+ biology course. You need to take these classes to even be considered for med school. Be sure to do well in your science courses- med schools usually weigh your science GPA heavily. Start getting some experience in the medical field by shadowing doctors or volunteering at hospitals. It's a long arduous road, but it's worth it in the end! Best of luck!</p>