What are my chances of getting into Claremont McKenna of Pomona

I visited the Claremont colleges and fell in love with them. I think i’d do well there but I’m not sure if they would take me.

I have a 3.2 GPA
I got a 32 on the ACT

The reason my GPA is so low is because I wasn’t really satisfied in my first few years of high school so I went of and studied on my own. Now I’m still a junior so I have a little time to try to raise my GPA. My family was kicked out of Uganda by Idi Amin this lead me to become fascinated with international politics so I’ve mostly be studying that. The highlights of my years of self study are…

1.Started my own business importing basket from Uganda and sold them to interior decorators in LA
2.Was invited to a conference with the Ambassador of Uganda with the ministers of agriculture, education, youth, and the shadow minister.
3.Got an internship at a law firm that serves immigrants from Asia
4. Was mad a Junior Captain on my high school’s speech and debate team (we are 33 in the country) when I was a sophomore. Then I was made full captain during my senior year and qualified to compete and both state and national championships.
5.Spent 10 days in Uganda where I learned about the culture and politics
6. Volunteered at the Ugandan North America Convention
7. worked on the business section of my high school robotics team where I was put in charge of handling paper work and writing team publications.
8. Worked for my Dad civil engineering firm since 8th grade. I started doing data entry. Graduated to machine maintenance, now I manage my own technician crews

What do you thing? And do you have any advice to help me get in?

Please don’t be one of those students who choose Claremont McKenna because of the price tag and then complain about its culture. Make your choice based upon the college or university that fits you best.

I didn’t choose them because of the price. CMC focuses on gaining experience (their study in DC course, being paid of research). The thing I didn’t like about highschool was how impractical it was. Cmc is all about practicality!

3.2 is pretty low at CMC or Pomona. Your background and ECs are compelling but they most likely won’t make up for the GPA; if you love the schools and have the money for the application fee, you might as well apply, but CMC and Pomona are both high reaches.

You should be sure not to describe high school in your application the way you’ve described it here. No college wants to hear that you weren’t interested in your school work or didn’t find it practical. It’s true that your GPA is extremely low for these schools but I can also imagine them being very interested in your ECs. Are you a URM by any chance? That would help a good deal too.

Yes, I’m black. My parents are Africans and I’m first generation American.