What are my chances of getting into Penn State and Loyola University Chicago?

I am a first generation Indian living in a lack of diversity neighborhood. I was bullied because of my race and the way I looked and also had a lot of family problems which provoked me to committ suicide( I see a therapist now and take medication) This had affected my school work in high school. I have a 2.8 gpa and had taken all the courses required but no AP’s. I also did 500 hours of volunteer work in a local hospital and participated in a lot of clubs( best buddies, FBLA, environmental, Community outreach…)I am currently a senior and I am working very hard to bring my grades up. I will be very grateful if you can answer this question. Thank you!

I would say that because of your GPA, your chances are low. We also don’t know your test scores, and hopefully that helps you.

Please do not let the person above me discourage you from your college hopes.

There is absolutely no shame going to a CC then transferring to a 4 year University. I would highly recommend going the CC route first because of your issues in the past, so you can be more prepared for a four year university later on.

Don’t let anyone discourage you! Apply and make sure you write a great essay. Get some help from your guidance counselor and English teacher. Find some good backup schools…there are TONS of colleges out there for everyone. Just because you don’t have a 4.0 doesn’t mean you have to go to a community college. Shoot for the stars and apply to your dream schools and find some smaller liberal arts schools that are not as selective for backups, like Capital University in Columbus, John Carroll University in Cleveland or Allegheny College in PA. Just make sure you have some schools like these as safety schools. Look up the book: Colleges that Change Lives. There are so many wonderful and great schools out there looking for students just like you! Best of luck on you search! :slight_smile:

Penn State has something called the 2+2 program, and you’d be a good fit for it if you’re very interested in Penn State. Essentially, you start at a branch campus for two years and take the same courses offered at Penn State, then you can move up to University Park. It’s a great program to get you acquainted to college without all the distractions at UP, and you can make friends through this program who will move up to UP with you. I’d say this is your best option, however I would recommend applying to Penn State with UP as your first campus, then pick a branch for your second option. They’ll consider you for UP first, then your top choice branch. 4% of Penn State University Park students are accepted with a GPA under 3.0, and you may very well be in that 4% if you can write an awesome essay and have good test scores.

Here is the link to the official site, so you can scroll around: http://admissions.psu.edu/pennstate/2plus2plan/

I would like to thank you guys for answering my question. I will definitely apply to penn state now! I feel very encouraged and confident about this.I earned a 90 this quarter and I’m hoping colleges will acknowledge my improvement. I would like to also state that I am a the first person in my family to attend college. Will that benefit me or no? Also, do colleges focus on extracurricular activities? And I’m planning to take the ACT again in December since I received a 22 on the last one. I’m definitely more focused now so I’ll hopefully do better! fingers crossed! Sorry for the additional questions! I thank you in advance