Great profile. But a few things - starting with academics. What social science classes have you taken and how many years of a foreign language - and which?
You missed the * on the $150K. All schools that say this have an asterisk. Families with assets above what is typical for their income level may not qualify for this level of support, but Notre Dame is still committed to funding 100% of demonstrated need.
I think UND will be difficult. Personally, I pick major over school but at UND you don’t have to - because if you are admissible to the university but not business, they will tell you. But in that case, I wouldn’t go - because you can’t study what you want. Why go somewhere that you can’t study what you want?
Upon application to Notre Dame, all students are asked to make a non-binding indication of the college or school and specific major or discipline in which they intend to major.
From their website:
Applicants who indicate an intent to major in business will be informed, at the time of admission, whether they are pre-approved to do so. If they are not pre-approved, students will be advised that they will be free to enroll in any other college or school, but that the chances of being approved to major in business after the first year will be extremely limited.
TO or not is a personal call. None of us are admins so it’s impossible to answer your question. I think a higher score would help but no one knows why you get in or don’t. 32 is a bit low. Would I submit? Yes, especially if math was strong. Why? They don’t list the percentages who take tests but they say 2118 enrolled and a little more than 1400 tests were submitted. If you think that no one submitted both, that’s about 2/3. If you take out athletes, it’s likely higher. Then they have other programs like Questbridge - so I think there’s likely not many unhooked students getting in TO. And you are only a point below the 25th.
Also, your rank is great - but 92% of their class is in the top 10%.
Finally, to be honest, I don’t see you getting in - but again, I’m not an admin and if you want UND, then it’s certainly worth a try. What I say doesn’t matter.
I would encourage you to have your parents fill out the net price calculator, to see, in fact if you would get free tuition.
I linked it here.
If you have back up schools or other ideas you want feedback on, let us know.
You are in the ballpark and have a chance. The volunteer work is a great attribute. Focus on the essay. I think their admissions is definitely more than just grades and test scores and activities and leadership mean something. My kid was accepted there the cycle before last. Decided on another school because he wanted chemical engineering and engineering isn’t their focus, but enjoyed his visit there. Good luck.
I’ve seen students with legacy (still important at ND) and higher grades/test scores be rejected. Assuming you apply broadly, you will certainly be admitted to some fine institutions, but my guess is that Notre Dame is pretty unlikely.
You certainly are a strong student. Apply and see what happens. With schools like Notre Dame with very low acceptance rates, it’s very hard to say who might or might not be accepted. They are building a class…and something in your application could make them want you as part of that class.
Good luck to you. Please let us know what happens.
And remember that if you don’t get accepted to ND, there are a lot of other wonderful colleges out there that will be happy to welcome you.
Yes, submit the 32 ACT. If you want to try for higher, fine. But if you don’t take it again or take it and don’t get a higher score, I would still submit the 32.
Congratulations on your achievements. I can’t chance you, but here’s my take on your other questions.
Impossible to know/strategize. Have you done an ND admissions session? If not, do that and consider asking this question.
I generally do not recommend sending scores below the 25%ile mark. 25% ACT score was 33 for class of 2030 enrolled students. So, pending your subsection scores, I would not submit. Apply | Undergraduate Admissions | University of Notre Dame
I would encourage you to ask your HS counselor for their opinion, and there is no downside to asking your ND AO for guidance. They might give you a definitive answer, they might not. Find My Counselor
You should self report your AP test scores of 4s and 5s.
Applying with a test score (so 33+) would likely result in a stronger app. Who knows how that impacts your chances. If you haven’t been preparing for the Oct 17th ACT test, the last one you can take and report a score for REA, I don’t think taking that test makes sense. I’m assuming you are very busy with senior year classes, college apps, and ECs.
Did you verify that by running the NPC? Do you have a budget?
ND was one of the most unpredictable schools for my D’s HS and her school was affiliated with the Brothers of the Holy Cross and many teachers were ND alums. The guidance counselor’s scatter plot was all over the map for ND. Anecdotally, it seemed to me that it was the students who were most connected to their Catholic faith and to the mission of the school that were accepted, but that was also 8 cycles ago and that’s a life time in college admission. As such, it’s really hard to chance you!
I also agree with Mwfan1921 and would say to go test optional unless your score gets above 33.
Also, just to note, the ND reports that it is 80%+ catholic, I am not sure how they prioritize that (or if applicant pool is actually 80%) but that could be a factor if you are not Catholic yourself. I imagine the applicant pool is very Catholic, but I would be surprised if it was 80% Catholic? Maybe someone else knows… That is clearly very much part of their mission and institutional priorities. You have some service, which is great, I would play that up somehow if possible …
I would apply and see what happens, which is really all you can do. You should apply widely, as should all good candidates! NO matter what your scores, most kids don’t get in. You have a GREAT profile and will get in LOTS of amazing places.