What are my chances of transferring to a better school?

<p>I want to know what the best possible school I could transfer to with my stats is. I don't need to go to a prestigious university, but somewhere with at least some decent clout so that my degree will be worth more. </p>

<p>I am beginning my second year of college this Fall and want to transfer for my junior and senior year. </p>

<p>My high school GPA was not good and neither were my SAT scores. I admit that I messed up in high school and didn't take it seriously, which I am paying for now. However, I'd like to think that I still have some chance at a good education for graduate school and so on. </p>

<p>So my first year of college went like this:</p>

<p>Fall '09
Psychology - A
Political Science - B
Film - A
English - A
Communications - A</p>

<p>Spring '10
Human Growth & Develop. - A
Christian Theology - A
Biology - B
Social Psychology - B</p>

<p>I am really annoyed about the 3 B's I've made so far, but all you can do is move forward. I plan, without a doubt, to make complete straight A's my entire sophomore year. I plan on taking way more classes and really buckling down. </p>

<p>With all A's in sophomore year, where do you think I could possibly transfer?</p>

<p>(Oh and I should add that I held an internship last year as an editor for my university's web relations and design team). I plan to do research and an internship this year as well.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>It would probably help if you told people your college gpa (it's impossible to figure out without knowing the number of credits in each class).</p>

<p>It's a 3.6 right now, but with straight A's all year I can probably raise it significantly.</p>

<p>Do you plan to take any math or science courses in the coming school year? If so, and if you can do well in them you should stand a good chance of transferring into your state flagship at the very least.</p>

<p>I'm already going to UNLV. My state flagship would be UNR, which I could already get into right now.</p>

<p>And yes, I plan on taking many more science and math courses.</p>

<p>Come on, I need schools!</p>

<p>I would argue that UNLV is the state flagship but really it depends on your major since both schools specialize more so in certain things. It is possible to transfer out of state to a decent school as I was just admitted to USC for business this fall as a transfer from CSN. </p>

<p>The key here is to pick out a handful of schools you'd like to go to and then plan your 2nd year curriculum around covering as many of the transfer pre-reqs as possible for those schools. </p>

<p>I wouldn't know what schools to suggest without knowing your intended major, your extra-curriculars, what type of schools you want to study at, what regions of the country you like etc.</p>

<p>Ok. I don't have a preference for where I'm at, as long as the school is good and accepts me. My intended major is Psychology, so I'd like to go to a school with good undergraduate research opportunities.</p>

<p>My extracurriculars will include many things this year, including a research position within a lab, copy editing for The Rebel Yell (my school's newspaper), and being a part of Psi Chi the psychology honors society. </p>

<p>Do you think that after not being super serious my first year, I can make enough of a significant difference during my sophomore year that will allow me to transfer to a better school? I mean my first year wasn't horrible, but I didn't take as many courses as I should have and I didn't involve myself in enough things. I held an internship my second semester at my university's public relations office working as an editor, if that helps. </p>

<p>But yes, can anyone suggest any schools to me?</p>

<p>Here's your answer
Ranking</a> of U.S. Undergraduate Psychology Programs</p>

<p>That's not a good answer, actually. I need to know what I can do in sophomore year to increase my chances of transferring to a good school, and what schools would be good options. Giving me a list of top schools does not help.</p>

<p>As you still haven't given any solid criteria as to what sort of schools you are wanting to study at, people will only be able to give you a rankings list for programs like above.</p>

<p>Once people are able to suggest schools, I direct you to my previous suggestion:</p>

<p>"The key here is to pick out a handful of schools you'd like to go to and then plan your 2nd year curriculum around covering as many of the transfer pre-reqs as possible for those schools. "</p>

<p>Then just make sure to get good grades and involve yourself in student life. Attempt to work on leadership activities or extra curriculars involving your intended major.</p>