What are some of the best restaurants in New York City?

<p>Le Bernardin is certainly very nice. We also like Gotham Bar and Grill, and the Momo f u k u restaurants–Ma Peche is comfortable (we haven’t been to Ko yet). I liked WD50, but my wife wasn’t nuts about it. One of the best meals we ever had was sushi at Jewel Bako.</p>

<p>a different take on the question:
Peter Lugers in Bklyn/queens makes all the Food channel steak house lists and is quite good.</p>

<p>the original Nathan’s at Coney Island
the Carnegie Deli for sandwiches</p>

<p>Joe Allens near Times Square for low key star viewing.</p>

<p>Peking Duck in Chinatown where it does NOT need to be ordered in advance.</p>

<p>HanGawi, 32nd St btw 5th and Madison. It’s Korean vegetarian, and amazing. I know many non-vegetarians who rank it among their favorite restaurants.</p>

<p>Jshain, after theater I love to go to a restaurant called Becco on restaurant row (46th off 9th). It’s owned by Batalli’s partner and his mother who’s long been on foodnetwork shows but the name eludes me for the moment. It’s not a starred restaurant like many mentioned her and it’s much less expensive, but I adore their Italian food and wonderful post theater energy.</p>

<p>I always recommend the Boathouse Restaurant in Central Park, for brunch. I think it serves lunch and dinner too, but the brunch was fabulous. It is open in the warmer months to the lake outside where people have boats…nice atmosphere.</p>

<p>I really like Blue Water Grill in Union Square. </p>

<p>There are so many good places that it’s hard for me to recommend any single one aside from that. When we meet my son in the city, he makes the reservations and it’s always good … but then since I didn’t do the legwork I never remember the name.</p>

<p>Becco - Lydia Bastianich. She is still on PBS.
Jain - I went to Breeze last week on 9th between 45th (Restaurant Row) and 44th. Not an elegant place but absolutely delicious - Thai.</p>

<p>Jean Georges has a 2-plates lunch for $38, if you don’t have time to sample all the restaurants listed. I go there often.</p>

<p>^^^Thanks for the recs.</p>

<p>I remembered the name of the pizza place in the old converted church…John’s Pizzeria on W.44th in theatre district. Good food and fun place</p>

<p>My H does business in NYC and I’ll often tag along with him. He’s a serious foodie as are his business partners. Places I’ve really liked in NYC: Le Bernadin, Daniel, Per Se, Del Posto (I’d put those in the top tier). Next level: Babbo, Lupa, Craft Bar, Esca, and Piccolino. </p>

<p>We recently stayed at The Plaza (I thought it had closed, but there’s still a hotel). We didn’t eat there, but had a drink in the bar–great people watching. My H’s new favorite is Eleven Madison Park–I haven’t been there yet!. Another place that a friend recommended highly was Blue Hill New York.</p>

<p>Bromfield, can we go to dinner with you. ;)</p>

<p>The theatre district has a zillion restaurants, many prix fixe… so you won’ t have a bad meal but you won’t necessarily have a great meal although there are some nice restaurants. Blue Fin right on Broadway is quite good as is Victor’s, I think on 52nd or maybe 54th St.
John’s Pizza is entirely different and fun. Pigalle on 8th Avenue and 48th street and Marseille on 8th and 46th street are both fine for pre-theater bistro dining.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My son who works in NYC gets taken out to dinners, sports games (Knicks’ games) by business associates often. He is always the client and has been to most of the best restaurants NY has to offer. Last night, he went out to a sushi restaurant where he said the sashimi melts in his mouth. He said the same about steak houses,(Peter Lugar’s , Wolfgang"s) the meat just melts in his mouth. Jokingly, he says he refuses to eat food that he has to chew.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, he’s really not a foodie. He eats everything and anything.</p>

<p>My D and her fiance are the real foodies, and they go to high end restaurants regularly, paying out of pocket.</p>