<p>My husband and I have been going to the city often and we are interested in eating at some of the well known best restaurants that New York has to offer. We lived in the city for many years but back then we had kids and these were not the type of restaurants we were going to. I am thinking of this as a restaurant bucket list…like the must see places in the world this is a must eat and experience either because of the food or because of the ambiance. If there are special culinary delights that you have enjoyed please suggest.</p>
<p>Daniel
The Lambs Club
Felidia
Del Posto
Aquavit
Kellari Taverna</p>
<p>We had a fabulous meal at Corton. Go for the tasting menu and wine pairing. [CORTON[/url</a>]</p>
<p>It looks like a hole in the wall, we walked right past it. </p>
<p>Daniel’s is good, but I’ve actually enjoyed my meals at his “lesser” locations better - Cafe Boulud near the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Bar Boulud across from Lincoln Center.</p>
<p>Another really good meal we had was at <a href=“http://www.telepan-ny.com/welcome-to-telepan[/url]”>http://www.telepan-ny.com/welcome-to-telepan](<a href=“Business corner”>http://www.cortonnyc.com/)</a> - tiny place also near Lincoln Center - We had great service (My sister-in-law needed to use their computer to print out opera tickets she’d forgotten to bring! My husband was stuck in traffic and they seated us and let me order for him.) Good options of semi-vegetarians. (My sil eats fish, but no other meats.)</p>
<p>DH thought Per Se was overrated.</p>
<p>
I actually agree with you. Have you been to DB Bistro Moderne? It’s quite wonderful.</p>
<p>Also, Kean’s is very popular if you’re a steak person (which I am not). Someone I know, who prides himself on his knowledge and experience of steakhouses, swears this is the best in NYC.</p>
<p>Jean Georges
Le Bernadin
Masa
Per Se
Babo
Eleven Madison Park
Bouley</p>
<p>I love Jean Georges’ food, but I’ve only had it at The Spice Market. Which I loved.</p>
<p>I thought the Spice Market was okay, but honestly I’d rather just eat real Thai food rather than Thailike food.</p>
<p>Zoosermom, I haven’t been to DB Bistro Moderne, but would like to!</p>
<p>I really like both Babbo and the Union Square Cafe. When I was in NYC in September I went to both at about 8:30 without a reservation and was surprised to be seated within about 15 minutes. The trick seemed to be to a super friendly and humble approach, saying that we knew it was cheeky to ask and we were happy to wait. We also ate at Del Posto (7-course tasting menu!) and some other fancy places but I actually liked the meals better at the simpler places.</p>
<p>My wife has a list of New York restaurants she wants to eat at . . . maintained in conjunction with our daughter, who lives there but isn’t in a position to go to fancy restaurants yet without a parent to pay. I’m not certain I know everything on it, but I know it includes Le Bernadin, Marea, Daniel, and Per Se. Maybe Momo<strong><em>u Ko. In recent years, I know they have really enjoyed Blue Hill and The Modern (and, with me, DBGB and Momo</em></strong>u Ssam Bar, but neither of those is as fancy as any of the others named).</p>
<p>Edit: Wow, that’s annoying. Try this: M o m o f u k u</p>
<p>The Michelin list is a good starting point: [New</a> York City 2012 Starred Restaurants | Michelin Travel & Lifestyle](<a href=“http://www.michelintravel.com/methodology/new-york-city-2012-starred-restaurants/]New”>http://www.michelintravel.com/methodology/new-york-city-2012-starred-restaurants/)</p>
<p>Our favorite now is Il Buco. </p>
<p>[Welcome</a> to Il Buco](<a href=“http://ilbuco.com/restaurant/]Welcome”>http://ilbuco.com/restaurant/)</p>
<p>I just got back on CC and I want to thank all of you for such great recommendations!!! I can’t wait to make some reservations and enjoy these recommendations…thankyou for posting. If there are any other posters with some recommendations please add to the list.</p>
<p>Thanks to all</p>
<p>I still love Gramercy Park Tavern -I was just there after about 15 years. Also recently went to Gotham Bar and Grill - still terrific.</p>
<p>I second Gramercy Park Tavern. One of the best meals I ever had in my life was there.</p>
<p>We’re going to be seeing Jersey Boys at the August Wilson Theater next month and would like to have a nice dinner before the show. Are any of these restaurants within easy walking distance of the theater which is at 245 W. 52nd St.?</p>
<p>So, my favorite place to eat in the city isn’t a sit-down restaurant. I LOVE Shake Shack. There are about 5+ in the city, I think. One of the best places to grab a burger or hot dog. I must say I am obsessed with their Mushroom Burger.
[Shake</a> Shack](<a href=“http://shakeshack.com/]Shake”>http://shakeshack.com/)</p>
<p>I would say avoid most places directly in Times SQ because they are all chains you see everywhere and anywhere. Explore Little Italy and Chinatown (they are literally right next to each other) because they have some pretty good places to eat. Sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance. Message me if you have any others Q’s because I live in NYC.</p>
<p>Our favorite restaurant is Perry Street (a Jean-Georges Vongerichten restaurant). Next fave is 11 Madison Park – had a wonderful meal there – really special. </p>
<p>Last time we went to the Modern I was disappointed. Same with Lincoln (right in Lincoln Centre). Not worth the $$$. And service was bad. </p>
<p>jshain – db bistro is good but not really walkable for Jersey Boys (it’s on 44th between 5th and 6th) [DB</a> Bistro Moderne](<a href=“http://www.danielnyc.com/dbbistro.html#intro]DB”>http://www.danielnyc.com/dbbistro.html#intro)</p>
<p>I went to see Jersey Boys with a girlfriend, and we must have eaten somewhere first – I think it was China Grill: 60 West 53rd Street – not very memorable though</p>
<p>Nobu57 might be better for you, location wise: 40 W. 57th St. (bet. 5th & 6th Aves.) but you’ll still have to walk a few blocks. A friend of mine who goes to the theatre a lot loves Taboon: 773 10th Ave. (52nd St.)</p>
<p>If you like Top Chef try Tom Colicchio’s Restaurant Craft on E.19th. Nobu has a couple of locations. If you have never been, go to Carmines on 44th street if you go to the theatre. Crowded and noisy, everyone should eat there once. Everything is family style. There is this great pizza place in the theatre district that is in an old church. I have to think about that, I can’t remember the name. I highly recommend the Roc restaurant in Tribeca on Duane Street also. Now I am hungry!!!</p>
<p>We ate at 11 Madison last night - it was really a wow. This has got to be one of the best restaurants in NYC these days. Really a wonderful meal and experience.</p>
<p>Colicchio & Sons is fun - eat in the Tap Room if you can’t get in the main dining room.</p>
<p>Del Posto - the food was great but I thought it was too much.</p>
<p>Megu or Tamarind Tribeca (NOT North of 14th) are both AMAZING. Not to mention super cool inside. Dress warmly for Megu because of the Buddha ice sculpture, but wear black.</p>