What are the best LACs i could get into?

<p>here are my stats:</p>

<p>HS graduation year: 2011
UW GPA: 3.5
Weighted: 3.8
SAT Composite: 1940
(should i take SAT II subject tests?)
Took 3 AP classes-- AP Biology, AP English, AP Calculus (i'll take these during my senior year, since my school didn't offer any before then) </p>

<p>EC's/awards:
Played JV tennis for 2 years, varsity tennis my senior year
Academic Spell Bowl team -- state finalists all 4 years, regional champions 3 years
Math team
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a neuroscience competition
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a public speaking competition
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a essay writing competition
Marching Band State Runner up -- freshman year
Speech team for 2 years
National Society of High School Scholars
National Honors Society
FIRST Robotics team for 3 years -- won a regional championship in 2009 (had leadership position)
VEX Robotics team for 2 years -- won a regional championship in 2009
Rocket Club
Vice President of Chess Club
Played violin for 6 years, performed at various concerts</p>

<p>Volunteer Activities: (total = slightly over 100 hrs)
Assisted my tennis coach in coaching small children
Assisted my tennis coach in his adult tennis classes
Volunteered at a local hospital
Assisted the Salvation Army </p>

<p>i want to major in neuroscience & do pre-med.
what are the best lac's i could get into?</p>

<p>Your EC's are really strong, which could help make up for your unweighted GPA. If you can take the SAT again you should, because you are so close to a 2000 composite score. As far as the SAT goes your score is in the "middle" range for some LAC's like Trinity, Connecticut, Union, Colby, Kenyon, Grinnell, Macalester, Hamilton.
Wesleyan, Oberlin, Bates, Swarthmore and the usual suspects. May be further reaches but certainly are possibilities if you bring your SAT's up some more.</p>

<p>Swarthmore is actually insanely hard to get into, but I agree with the other above choices.</p>

<p>Wheaton (MA), Beloit, Skidmore, Wabash (If you're male), Agnes Scott (if you're female), Hobart and William Smith Colleges- might all be viewed as "safer" schools for someone with your stats.</p>

<p>You would be a great candidate for Wake Forest and Holy Cross, which are SAT-optional.</p>

<p>Is there a part of the country you would prefer?</p>

<p>Because so many schools don't seem to care about the writing score I find it easier to tell when I know the CR plus math total. If that is 1400 or more, you could apply anywhere. I agree, though, that Swarthmore is very difficult to get into and even a 1400 wouldn't be enough. If you are science-oriented you might want to check out some of the X vs. Y for science threads. (i.e. Williams or Middlebury for science etc.) I don't now if anyone has mentioned Pennslyvania LAC's---Bucknell, Lehigh, Franklin and Marshall, Lafayette roughly in that order of selectivity. More information like part of country or where you want to be on the hipster to conservative scale would be helpful.</p>

<p>I think this applicant is below the line for many of the LACs you mentioned:
Kenyon, Grinnell, Hamilton, Wesleyan, Oberlin, Bates, Swarthmore would be reaches for him/her (in particular Wesleyan, Grinnell and Swarthmore).</p>

<p>"Best" in what way? For LACs, 'best' fit is a lot more important than highest prestige/name recognition or lowest acceptance rate because these schools are small, often rural/isolated, and invariably have strong cultures. Top grades may enable you to get into, say, Bowdoin, but it's a pretty preppy place and you'd better be okay with that. Davidson is more conservative than many other top LACs - would that be a fit? Could you enjoy four years of Reed's 'rebellious intellectual' schtick? Sure there are sub-groups at all of these schools like you, and you will surely find friends, but wouldn't it be better to identify what you want, rather than trying to either conform to or work around what's already there?</p>

<p>"Wesleyan, Oberlin, Bates, Swarthmore and the usual suspects. May be further reaches but certainly are possibilities if you bring your SAT's up some more."</p>

<p>Sorry if that was misleading. If they bring up their SAT's then those LAC's will be possibilities. As for Hamilton- it's SAT optional. Kenyon, Grinnell are further reaches primarily because of the SAT. This applicant is not too far off from the mid 50 range @ both of those schools. Kenyon's mid SAT score is 1990 out of 2400 and Grinnell is 1355 out of 1600.</p>