What are the best undergraduate schools if you want to get a job in finance?

I am interested in knowing the ranks of the best schools in the states for finance because I’m actually from Canada and I want to apply to the US. I’ve already done my SAT’s I got a 2100 and I rank in the top 3% of my grade so I really wanna apply to where I may be able to get the best business/economics education and where I can get the highest salary when graduating.

I’m finding it extremely difficult to find solid information to compare all the universities in the us so I was hoping some natives of the country with experience can help me and maybe give me sources to the information they are using.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Canadian Guy

  1. NO school in the US, or in the world, guarantees(may boost but by no means promises) you higher salary, particularly in the US. You can go to a decent state university and still get a job at Goldman Sachs.

  2. SAT 2100 may not be enough for top undergrad.

  3. Getting jobs in the US, if that is what you are looking for, is not easy. In fact, it is getting increasingly harder.

  4. Wherever you go, most of the time it’s up to you to make the best of your school.

  5. If you still are looking for schools that may give income boost even though you read the four points above, then google “finance major ranking of the US university”.

@paul2752 thanks a lot for the info but I really only wanna apply to the best in the US because I’m also applying to medicore universities here in Canada and it’s cheaper for me to stay so the only way to make it worth it is if I can find programs in the US that are better then the best of Canada. Which is why I wanted to know the top in the US as a sort of guide.

If you are interested in the more scholarly aspects of economics, schools in these analyses rank highly in faculty publishing (from IDEAS, available online): “US Economics Departments”; “Economics Departments at Liberal Arts Colleges.” Beyond the top 20 in each category, I would also consider Duke and Brandeis. That said, I concur with the points made by paul2752.

@merc81 thanks for that ideas website! Has great rankings and makes sense with what I imagined. I know my chances aren’t the best for those top school but there’s no harm in trying.

Also, if you were to compare an economics program to a business program which do you think is better for someone trying to get a job in finance?

Consider modeling your coursework to that of University of Pennsylvania Wharton. see:

https://undergrad-inside.wharton.upenn.edu/curriculum/requirements/

Look at the University of Pennsylvania course catalog for additional details regarding the accounting, finance, economics, math and management courses. While some of the courses are unique to Penn most are taught at many large universities, including I expect some of the Canadian universities

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1206919-which-schools-are-targets-at-the-top-3-consulting-firms-bain-bcg-mckinsey-p1.html

A 2100 SAT will not get you into Wharton, Berkeley or other top US undergrad business schools. NYU Stern is possible but you and your parents will have to pay $60,000/year with no financial aid.

Go to a cheap Canadian university, get the best grades you can and then apply to one of the top MBA programs. Do the math. See how much you will spend in Canada vs. the USA. Then apply to a top MBA program, take the difference and you will see that you will be better off financially and better off career wise too.