What are the parents of CC doing on this fine Christmas Eve?

<p>^^ I’m working 8 hours tomorrow for my home care agency (moonlighting). I get paid double, and don’t have family in the area, so I might as well. It gives someone with family a chance to be with them.</p>

<p>Since I ended up all by my lonesome this year, I was going to volunteer for what is call the “pinch hitters”, where we fill in for christian employees at hospitals and nursing homes, but they needed proof of a flu shot (which I could easily get) but also proof of a tetanus (which I couldnt get at this late date). Oh man, I would have been happy to fill in for someone so they could be with their family.</p>

<p>I’ll be working tomorrow, but I’m Jewish and I’m happy to take the day and leave it free for one of my coworkers who celebrates Christmas. And after work–will plan to see Into the Woods with the kids and get Chinese food!</p>

<p>Last night of Chanukah, and my immediate family is my daughter and me. We lit the candles, I gave her her gift ($$$ for a stud for her nose piercing, lol), and we ate burgers, a home meal neither of us had since she left in August–her choice.</p>

<p>Tomorrow we’re visiting a friend for bagel brunch and probably Chinese restaurant dinner, a Jewish tradition for Christmas!</p>

<p>I will miss my traditional dim sum brunch with DH, who is out of town and will have it with his sister. And my, probably now former, friend (see the “say it here” thread) just let rip with a litany of complaints and things she didnt want to do tomorrow, so I finally called it a day and gave up. </p>

<p>Worked out with trainer this morning, then made a couple of the dishes I’m responsible for tomorrow. D2 arrived last night and we all (H, D1 and I) sat down and watched a few hours of old home videos this afternoon. It was the first time we’ve looked at them, in probably 15 years (definitely since I had them all transferred from VHS to DVD); it was a blast and we had a lot of laughs (and a lot of, “Can we fast forward through this part; I look so awkward.”).</p>

<p>Chili and pork tamales tonight, likely followed by a marathon session of The West Wing. </p>

<p>Edited to add… sorry for all those who are dealing with ill family members. Hope you find some time to appreciate just a little of it being a holiday. </p>

<p>jym, so sorry! Wish you could come to Empire Szechuan in NYC with us tomorrow!</p>

<p>I would LOVE that!!! Wish I was closer!</p>

<p>Since I ended up all by my lonesome this year, I was going to volunteer for what is call the “pinch hitters”, where we fill in for christian employees at hospitals and nursing homes, but they needed proof of a flu shot (which I could easily get) but also proof of a tetanus (which I couldnt get at this late date). Oh man, I would have been happy to fill in for someone so they could be with their family.>>>>>>></p>

<p>That is really nice. </p>

<p>Thanks. Its a very successful program. I will plan ahead next year, especially if DH is away again. His birthday is tomorrow (the only thing worse than having a xmas birthday is being jewish and having a xmas birthday-- not much to do. Maybe we’ll both sign up to be pinch hitters next year, if we can request the same shift and site.</p>

<p>Middle child arrived home very jet-lagged from her study-abroad, ate an entire plate of pancakes and went to sleep. Youngest child is home from his first semester of college and is out with friends – promised to be home in time for midnight Mass. H is also asleep, on the couch. Oldest child is not home this year – first time one of them won’t be here at all for the holidays but he is teaching in Taiwan and they don’t get a winter break until February. But he is happy so I am trying not to be too sad.</p>

<p>About to bake cookies and wondering if “Serial” is appropriate Christmas-Eve baking entertainment . . . </p>

<p>I am now watching “its a wonderful life” (have never seen the whole thing, from beginning to end) and making chocolate pudding. All is well with the world.</p>

<p>Watching the I love Lucy Christmas special.</p>

<p>Self-quarantine with flu-like symptoms. Sent my kids and H to in-laws with Christmas eve dinner that I was going to serve this evening. </p>

<p>Happy to report that our power was only out for about three hours and no issues after. </p>

<p>This was the first time my partner’s parents and mine ever spent extended time together. Despite the fact that they’re exact opposites in every way, dinner and all else went fabulously. </p>

<p>Merry Christmas eve, everyone!</p>

<p>Eta: I should add that I was in the er last night for an allergic reaction. Luckily all is well but the steroids they gave me made me REALLY enjoy a LOT of holiday food lol</p>

<p>Sitting at my in-laws, watching Commander and Chief. Neither of my kids made it here, so I am feeling slightly detached. </p>

<p>Just wrapped the last present–an iPad Air 2 for H. Or…supposedly to be an iPad Air 2. The receipt says that…that box says iPad Air. #$(<em>(#</em>$ Hoping this isn’t a nightmare! Other than that, all is ready. I love being able to prepare the stockings at 3 p.m. instead of midnight and not having to do things like build tricycles anymore :)</p>

<p>Baking cookies. Fang Jr is wrapping presents.</p>

<p>My kids insist that I still wait until they are all up in bed before filling the stockings and putting the gifts under the tree. Ok, I say, but plan on getting to bed WAY earlier than you normally do!!</p>

<p>Dinner went well, letting cinnamon rolls rise overnight for morning breakfast. S went to GF’s house for a bit, D’s 1 and 2 are painting their nails together and watching The Lizzie McGuire movie - I guess time CAN stand still!!! :)</p>

<p>I’m relaxing now. Presents all set…and house all set…and breakfast all set.</p>

<p>DD is an EMT. She will work beginning 5:30 pm Christmas evening. It will give some parent a chance to be home with their family. She will be with us most of the day. DS works tomorrow as well…as do many musicians. He will be here Friday night. We will celebrate Christmas Satirday morning.</p>