Planning is very wise. Our neighbors have made a reservation at nearby deluxe CCRC, where my parents resided. They reserved a 3 bedroom and have been offered a unit at least one or more times and have said not ready, please leave them on waiting list.
We haven’t done that yet. I wasn’t thrilled with their higher levels of care. Independent living was ok.
DH’s aunt and uncle who had been in a very high end senior living facility from independent living (large townhome) to assisted living (2BR) and critical care. Even when the aunt in assisted living phase, her family hired an outside assistant every other morning (hard to hire someone for less hours)to help her do some personal hygiene and housekeeping. We just happened to visit while she was in critical care, she needed assistance to go to the bathroom, no one showed up for quite a long time and no one was at the desk.
I feel even if you were in an excellent facility, there are staff shortages and it’s best to hire an assistant several hours a day if you can afford it.
This is all interesting info and makes me want to really think things through a bit. I also know people who had to hire help for loved ones in a facility. Our house is a ranch so everything on the first floor. Maybe our best bet is to stay put and save the money for hiring help? Much to think about. Clearly, cc needs a retirement home thread! Didn’t plan to derail this one so much. But I do love hearing everyone’s thoughts.
When mom was in skilled nursing after hospital discharge, it was still invaluable for us to get there to get what mom needed and be her advocate and do little things that made things more comfortable for her.
Hiring good, reliable companions is very challenging. For folks that do independent hiring, be sure they have worker’s comp and are having all needed overtime and FICA and other contributions. We used the agency connected to CCRC but even so sometimes they’d call at the last minute that they had no one and family had to fill gaps in schedule.
Yes, we have a caregiver from 9 am - 5 pm and 8 pm - 10 pm every day for my dad who is in assisted living. It would work just as well in a one-story house, I would think. Dad just couldn’t stay in his huge house.
I guess the one big advantage to AL for him is all the other people. But right now it’s so hard for him to get around that I don’t think he’s getting out of his apartment very often. Ugh, so hard to know.
Mental. We are completely active professionally working on the things that interest us. I just had a 7-8 AM with a South American client about a very complex problem. We are trying to keep our minds active. ShawWife is painting and having shows and is getting better at the business of art as she ages. We travel (a bit too much).
Exercise. We try. At 8:30, a physical therapist comes in for an hour (twice a week) to do core exercises as I would otherwise have chronic back problems. We are trying to cycle 3 times a week, but it has been so hot. ShawWife swims most days at least once. But, we leave soon for a week of hiking in the Canadian Rockies, expect to bicycle every non-rainy day for 3 weeks in August, and then will take a 40th anniversary bike trip in France. Winter is harder. We need to do a much better job of exercise in the winter.
Living Situation. We bought a house that is now configured for one-floor living and is large enough that one of our children could move in with his/her family (neither has a family at the moment). The prior owners did this. ShawD has generally expressed interest in that.
We have not even thought about continuing care facilities. Our plan is to leave this house boots out, but who knows if that is possible.
Healthcare. We have a great setup with healthcare here. Very good PCP, although we are concerned she will retire just as we are really aging. Connected with good cardiologist, pulmonologist, orthopedist and pain management for back, etc. at major Harvard teaching hospitals. Not so good with dermatologist. Definitely not the lowest cost health care, but we are prepared there.
ShawWife and I have gone on a diet. I have lost 20 pounds since mid-April. Alas, ShawWife maybe 2 lbs. Her problem is really her endocrine system.
ShawD moved back from the West Coast to be near us as we age. ShawSon is talking about that as well.
I would also say if you don’t feel like you’re doing “enough” in the physical fitness department remember that some people here have been life long fitness people or been working at a routine for some time. We don’t start out at 10 miles on our Apple Watches at day one. And that’s not necessary to be active later in life though many of us enjoy it.
AND mental health care and nutrition care and self worth care are just as important!
Find a starting spot that’s unique and right for you. That is your day ONE. Own it.
I was an avid long-distance runner over twenty years ago. I started up again last year, got back up to about three miles, and dreaded it. One morning, I was in my driveway in my running clothes, and I just went back into the house. About six months ago, I started walking and running.
There is no program, no set goals, and no pressure. If I want to run more one day, I do. If I feel like walking more the next day, that’s fine, too. I feel better, have more energy, and have lost weight. The best part is that I don’t dread it but look forward to it.
I do yoga, walk, watch my weight, take Vitamin D, play a bunch of daily puzzle games, work part-time (remotely), belong to 8-10 book groups, read 100 books a year, attend many library programs, attend cultural events (museums, shows, author talks, etc.), volunteer on library committees, spend time with my husband and grown daughter, and socialize with my neighbors.
I think you’re right if you’re an active person, gardening, housework, etc. is exercise. Our healthier European friends don’t generally hit the gym but they are more active in their daily lives.
But, if you’re living a typical American lifestyle and not all that active, exercise is likely important.
I don’t really “exercise” either although I walk 4-5 miles a day. We also try to cook from scratch most of the time, eat relatively well-but I also make cookies and we love ice cream in the summer, I enjoy a glass of wine a few days a week too. I could use some weight training probably because my mom has osteoporosis and I’m small like she is.
Overall I just try to stay happy, walk, read a lot, see friends, maintain my weight, and see the doctor for check ups. I’m still in my late 40s so I imagine I’ll need meds at some point but I only take bio-identical hormones and vitamin D currently.
I make sure to do my regularly check-ups, mammograms, cancer screens, dental visits, etc. each year. When I got divorced and had sole custody of my kids, I realized I had to take care of myself to make sure I was healthy to take care of them. I’ve kept all that up.
When the kids were younger, I didn’t do exercises, but I got plenty of exercise. Now they are grown and gone, and I am retired. Part of my retirement plan included lots of time for exercise.
I may have mentioned this already, but I just purchased Peter Attia’s book, Outlive. I know he and others suggest taking many supplements. I need to figure out what I “should” consider taking.
My “motto” is movement is better than no movement. Find what you will actually DO on a regular basis - It doesn’t have to be fast or elegant.
My husband was a die-hard runner for many, many years. Lately he still runs, but he’s slowed down, and he’s happy walking or biking too.