What are you doing today?

We had breakfast with our guests who then left. Spent the day down at our lake. It was a bit cloudy and humid, but not too hot. And my beach friends were all there…so it was a lot of fun.

2 Likes

We have glass panels on our deck, and some of the surrounding wood and part of a post have some rot. The planning and materials purchasing and building took all week. Bless the original owner who custom milled the wood in non-standard sizes, and bless my engineer of a husband who was able to figure out how to make standard lumber work. We got the glass back in today. It started to rain, so H tightened the cables along the rest of it. He’ll stain it all this week.

I defrosted the big freezer. I am surprised as to how little actually has to be tossed; that will all go home with me tomorrow and put in compost for pickup on Tuesday. I still need to clean bathrooms and vacuum, but that can wait — I think it’s time for a cocktail.

4 Likes

Met the new next door neighbors today but only remembered the name of the new man of the house. Was able to look up the name of his mother-in-law, as she’s president of local U where my friend was a professor and they knew one another, plus she’s listed online as the president. Can’t recall the names of the wife, two little daughters or his father-in-law. Oh well, we will try again to remember the names.

We went for a short walk and had lunch.

I listened to my friend vent—her parents have been very reluctant to go to the family care home—they just want to stay in their own home but it’s no longer safe and no one can care for them at their own home. The bathrooms are NOT accessible for the dad who is in a wheelchair and no one can do all that needs to be done. My friend is burned out, as is her H. The parents are threatening to call the cops and all agitated. I think the geriatrician could have helped everyone prepare better for all of this, but maybe not. I told her to text the geriatrician and ask for some guidance—how long should she wait before engaging or seeing her folks again to avoid triggering herself and them, etc.

Last night, we went to Les Miz with friends. It was fabulous—all the singers were amazing, but it is SO sad!

Before the play, we went to Elks Club and had a nice casual dinner overlooking the ocean, with some live music, which was very nice and relaxing!

2 Likes

Mondays in August should just not be allowed.

Woke up fine, except for my dream where I was drafted into some weird military Hunger Games type thing - except it wasn’t fight to the death. More like war games for military peeps, and I kept saying “But I’m 54 years old! Do I look like I belong here?!” Never did actually get to the fighting part - phew.

Run at 4am was horrible in the gross disgusting muck that will be our weather for the next month, stairmonster was worse. Lifting went well. Had hopes for the day. Went home and practiced piano - went terribly. Took a shower to get ready for work. Headed downstairs and found 7 piles of cat barf in 2 locations of the house. Grumble.

On the way to work, realized I have a 1pm meeting that will mess up my lunchtime nap. Got to work to field a dozen emails about a nightmare project.

Minor bright spot is that my sister is coming to town to set up politcal signs at the voting districts. Maybe we can get together and eat dinner somewhere. Fast food, but I’ll take it.

Past that, I’ve got nothing. I want to go to sleep and wake up in October. However, Thursday we will be heading north for a road trip/mini vacation. The forecast for a few days have lows in the 50s. I may sleep outside naked. (KIDDING!)

8 Likes

You had me at 4 am workout! Yikes!

2 Likes

Started raining at 4AM and will pour all day. I’ll take it. Sat on the porch with my coffee and just inhaled the wood scents.

7 Likes

Thunder several times during the night. I dreamed that I was living in my old neighborhood and my daughter said I was disgusting and that she was going to live in a group home! OMG!

I am waitig for a technician sent by my landlord to check my refrigerator which keeps icing up. Service said between 10 and 2 by which time the rain should have stopped.

1 Like

Woke up to thunder and lightning. And then HUGE flash of light right outside bedroom window and then sounded like a bomb went off. Neighbor texted to make sure I was alright. and then half of my house is without power. Same with neighbor. Weird but it’s a “phase” power outage. So today I learned unwillingly about other power outages. It’ll be back up in a couple hours.

5 Likes

This was over the weekend. A friend took me to a painting studio class as a belated birthday present. It was fun.

10 Likes

Went to the gym. Chilling now; will do a ton of laundry today. Then at 4:00 pm I get to have my annual mammogram and ultrasound. Oh boy.

3 Likes

I had a relaxing lymphatic massage this morning. I’m glad I made it on time since I had a dead battery when I went to start my car. Luckily my husband was still home and I took his car. Did a bit of grocery shopping as we had been gone for 10 days. Now relaxing and finishing up the last of the laundry.
I’m going to prep dinner early and get in the pool this afternoon.

2 Likes

I worked today processing absentee ballots. Our county assists some municipalities with their absentee ballots. We processed ballots from one particular township all day today, and a woman I was working next to told me that she went to early-vote in that township & the line was huge. Now that’s an area that values its civic responsibility! I got to open envelopes using the automated opener - it was pretty cool. We got all of the envelopes open well before all the opened ballots were processed, so the three of us who opened envelopes began doing the ballot prep - matching ballot numbers to envelope numbers and tearing off the top strip with the ballot number & prepping the ballot for the tabulator. It was my first time working an election, and I really enjoyed it. I’m doing it again tomorrow, and I plan to do it in November.

11 Likes

Today is a generally better day, except for the mucky weather and gross runs. I also survived the dentist! It was sad though - his D and my S were close friends K-12. Went to the same college, but not as tight there. She got married last year, and a couple of months ago, he was killed in a car accident - someone else did not stop when they should have. I expressed my condolences. There really are no words.

Then I went and voted in our primary election. I haven’t voted in person since covid. My sister’s Dr is running. She won’t win, but wants to make a good showing. I was happy to do it. My sister thinks the world of her, and that’s more than I can say of anyone else running on either side.

Not much else on tap for today. Finish our the work day. Dinner and then watch TV. I might start trying to pull out a few things for our road trip Thursday, but I don’t like to upset the cats with the suitcases until I have to.

4 Likes

I finished compiling Qs &As for an interview we are having in radio Thursday & sent it to the other guest. I also checked as to how long we are paid up for storage (2/2028).

Sent an email to our estate attorney that we need to meet to review our estate plan & also get title cleared up.

Sent message to carpenter, asking for a quote & his email, telling him we have materials he can use for our screens.

Made grilled brie, bacon & tomato open faced sandwiches for breakfast. Soon, we’ll head out for H’s blood test & my calcium channel test.

Bought new color laser HP printer. Fingers crossed we will like it and get good use out of it. It’s from Costco, so we can return if it doesn’t meet our needs. H is unboxing and will be setting it up.

Also bought some 6” pies from a friend’s bakery. Japanese chicken curry, a chicken pot pie (had ordered quiche, but oh well, this is fine), and a mango pie with whipped cream for dessert. I’m sure we’ll enjoy all of them.

1 Like

Today has been a day.
Went to the gym this morning, then over to vote in our primary. There’s a lot of drama going on in the city and we really need some fresh blood on city council. It will never happen, but can’t blame me for trying! I needed a new Ozempic prescription that I had requested through my online portal. I asked that my dosage be increased. Simple enough, right? You’d think the office would check my current dose and prescribe the next step - but no! The prescription went from .5 to 2 mg which is a huge jump. I wondered but foolishly assumed they knew what they were doing. Instead, Nurse Nasty calls wanting to know why I am requesting such a huge increase. Uhhh- I didn’t. I just asked for the next “step” and that’s what was prescribed. So after we finished our errands, I am home looking for a new PCP. Ozempic is the only medication that office prescribes for me - everything else is through the cardiologist. I have to think there is something else that could control my a1c. Just a lot of frustration.

2 Likes

I forgot the other highlight - my neighbor’s kitchen reno. It started back in June and I think they’re trying to act as their own general contractor. It has been very slow going with an interesting "assortment” of contractors coming and going. I often think of the Newhart show and “Larry, my other brother Larry and my other brother Darryl”. As I was leaving to vote, a large semi was attempting to back into my driveway to deliver appliances. They realized they were in the wrong driveway, then were trying to back into neighbor’s and came very close to taking down electric lines. I am so ready for this Mickey Mouse show to be over. Yes, I am grumpy today!

5 Likes

I went with a friend to visit a local sculpture garden/museum, which is located in an abandoned quarry area. The couple who created it (she is a sculptor and he’s a musician who makes instruments) were very knowledgeable. We went on the tour with the sculptor (who is from Taiwan). She is now working in a new medium–creating sculptures via 3-D printed art. She was the most interesting and engaging tour guide. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

5 Likes

Today is August 4, 2026…

If I was on Mars (not my idea, saw this online):

12 Likes

Did a few errands this morning, including going to our local Penzeys. I love that store.

Had lunch with a friend and got caught up on what’s new in her life.

Just chilling now. Pizza for dinner – I’m in no mood to cook.

2 Likes

Thanks Marilyn!