What are you reading now?

<p>I was going to post this is the "best book you've read in the last 6 months" thread, but it doesn't really fit . . . I just finished reading "The Fifth Witness" by Michael Connelly (picked it up because it won the Harper Lee prize, but not sure really what that means!). I thought the book was okay--I did like the character (Mickey Haller) but thought the story got kind of bogged down in the business details . . . Pondering whether I will read others by this author.</p>

<p>"Burr," by Gore Vidal. Over the years, I've started it a few times, but now I'm all in. </p>

<p>According to the (fictional) Burr, Washington is a dimwit, a general who never won a battle, but a skilled politician who would have liked to be king--if only he had a son. He wanted to be addressed as "Your Mightiness."</p>

<p>He kind of likes Hamilton.</p>

<p>The book is written in the voice of a young writer and law partner of Burr who is writing his bio in the 1830s.</p>

<p>"Broken Harbor" by Tana French. It's hard to read her books, because I'm aware that once I start, I will not be able to put it down inside an hour or so. Just finished "Yes Chef" by Marcus Samuelsson -- not a lot of memoirs can hold a candle to that of a Swedish-Ethiopian master chef who trained in Europe!</p>

<p>Cloud Atlas for the CC Book Club - discussion starts on Oct. 1.</p>

<p>Love the book!</p>

<p>"2312" by Kim Stanley Robinson. Absolutely loving it (I am on vacation, and find myself craving time in the hotel room to read instead of being out doing stuff!). Resisting that impulse as best I can, as the book will still be with me when I get home in a couple of days.</p>

<p><a href="Mickey%20Haller">quote</a> but thought the story got kind of bogged down in the business details . . . Pondering whether I will read others by this author

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm a Michael Connelly fan and prefer his Harry Bosch series more than the Mickey Haller series. The Bosch series came before the Haller series. Also, Haller is Bosch's half-brother (first book of the Haller series--The Lincoln Lawyer, explains it. The Lincoln Lawyer was made into a movie that came out last year starring Matthew McConaughey and William Macy and a few others, whom I've forgotten.) Anyway--try one of the books in the Bosch series. You don't have to read them in order, but it helps. Bill Clinton is a fan of Michael Connelly too.</p>

<p>I'm on Book 3 of The Game of Thrones. When I'm done with it, I'll take a break and read Penelope Lively's most recent book -* How it all Began * - which I got for my birthday. I'll probably also dip into Keith Richard's Life which I also got.</p>

<p>My daughter finally convinced me to try the Harry Potter series, so,I'm I'm the midst of,the first book!!! (just never thought it was my taste, but must say I'm enjoying it!)</p>

<p>Alexander McCall Smith's "The Importance of Being Seven." I like to savor this series (which originally was published in serial form in Scottish newspapers), but my library wants the book back in two weeks, so I'm moving it along more quickly.</p>

<p>Lucky duck, abasket, you are just at the beginning and can just read straight through!</p>

<p>abasket: My daughter convinced me that I needed to read the HP series too. I started in January with the first book and read a book a month (more or less). I finished book 7 (the final one) last week. Hope you enjoy the series as much as I did.</p>

<p>The latest new book I read is Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. historic fiction that takes place both during WWII and the 2000's. But, right now I am rereading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I loved the series and am eagarly anticipating release of the next book.</p>

<p>The Yellow Birds, by Kevin Powers, a new novel about one man's experience of the Iraq war. I think it's brilliant. Michiko Kakutani agrees with me ;): <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/books/the-yellow-birds-by-kevin-powers.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/books/the-yellow-birds-by-kevin-powers.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Just finished Gone Girl--last person in the world to read it, I think. Very un-put-downable, but like many, I was disappointed with the ending. But now I'd like to read the author's other books.</p>

<p>Almost done with Gone Girl--also can't put it down. But I've read about the disappointment with the ending so am braced for something unsatisfying.</p>

<p>Ooh Booklady, I've heard about "The Yellow Birds" and really want to read it. Thanks for the recommendation.</p>

<p>The review compares it to "The Things They Carried," and I very much liked that one too.</p>

<p>A thread on CC about what everybody's reading.</p>

<p>I'm just starting "House of Cedar" available for download - but not in print yet. Amazon, etc- the usual. It's about the thief that ended up next to Jesus on the cross - who was saved - and how he ended up there. So far - so good! New, young author.</p>

<p>I've been reading this one:</p>

<p>Waterfalls</a> of the White Mountains: 30 Hikes to 100 Waterfalls</p>

<p>And, this one:</p>

<p>Bobby</a> Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge</p>

<p>Both have inspired me to try something new!</p>

<p>I, like Mathmom, just finished book 3 of Game of Thrones and I am also taking a break. I love the series and want to prolong finishing it for a while. Right now, I am reading and loving Anna Quindlen's Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake. She is right on the money about many things that happen in life. Short book so it is quick to read.</p>