Okay, I just joined CC because I finally narrowed down the colleges I want to go to. As a Texas Resident, my safety schools are any of the public schools like UT Austin, since Texas has a “top-10% rule” in which (according to my understanding) a student in the top 10 percent of their school automatically gets accepted.
However, I really want to attend a school like Stanford, since it has great STEM programs.
I know my chances are quite low… as a sophomore, this is my transcript:
Sophomore Year:
3.83 GPA (4.0 College GPA)
Rank 26/533
Haven’t taken SAT or ACT yet… studying really hard so I can take it in June
Really, the only extracurriculars I’ve taken are band and a community service club.
So, how low are my chances? I’ve still got two years several standardized tests to turn it all around, what should I do if I want to attend an Ivy-League/equivalent college?
It is impossible to chance for top tier colleges as a sophomore. The colleges you are talking about generally have acceptance rates of under 10%. I suggest that next year you get your hands on some good college guide books (ex. Fiske, Princeton review) which can often be found in a HS guidance office or library and start reading up. You eventually want to create an application list of reach, match, and safety schools that appear affordable (you will have to run a net price calculator for each school you consider) and that you would be happy to attend. You need to expand your horizons and recognize that there are many wonderful schools out there where you can have a great 4 year experience and get where you want to go in life.
Stop thinking of ECs as something you “take”. Top selective colleges want students who not just explore their interests but conducted activities outside what they could sign up for at school. If your EC list contains only things you signed up for since you’re just joining an existing club/organization/activity, it’s pretty tough to stand out as a top applicant. What interests do you have that you want to pursue outside school? Start doing that.
But also don’t overlook how great a school UT Austin is and how many other good Texas schools there are. For an in-state resident it’s hard to beat the quality of the education you can get for that price.
With UT, it’s the top 7%. You’re in the top 6%, so you’re good for UT for now. I think A&M still has the 10% rule, but I’m not sure. Either way, you’re pretty much in both schools. As far as an ivy league, in my opinion, they’re not worth the cost, especially when you have 2 top ranked engineering schools right here in Texas.
You “finally” narrowed it down, but you’re only half through soph year? Miles to go, much to learn. Start by digging into what your targets want to see, what they say, not a forum or other pages where so called experts claim to have the formula.
Once you learn more, you’ll see it’s impossible know your shot before more class rigor, scores, and valid activities.
If you’d been doing this, you’d know that UT Austin states: “Summer/Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 applicants: Top 6%.” So any trouble with your grades, (as rigor increases,) and your rsnk may shift.
“What’s better” is a subject of endless speculation on CC. Best bet is balance: depth and breadth. And for a kid interested in STEM at a top program, that better include math and sci ECs. Remember, adcoms choose, not kids, and the competition will be fierce among top performers who did more than just “anything.” It has to make sense. After all, it’s an application.