What colleges should I apply to?

<p>SAT1: 2300
SATII: 2400 (math2/chem/physic)</p>

<p>GPA: valedictorian</p>

<p>haha, are you trolling?</p>

<p>no... lol...</p>

<p>Sheep</p>

<p>Out of curiousity -- what schools do you think you should apply to? What schools do you think you shouldn't? Why for each?</p>

<p>I want to apply to Yale, because when I visited I loved it. However a lot of the other schools I liked were just as selective as Yale and I don't know if I can get in. </p>

<p>Also, next on the list is Duke, where I'm not sure how I stand. My GC told me I'm a shoe in... but I hesitate to believe him. Although he has been in the business for many years, he has said some things that make me wonder. For instance, he told me UPenn was a safety-</p>

<p>I'm looking for some match schools. Also, if I apply to a lot of the super competitive schools, do you think I'll get into atleast one?</p>

<p>Umm do you do anything outside of school?</p>

<p>I would have serious concern for a guidance counselor who said U Penn was a safety for anyone. If you can post more details about what you are looking for in a college (location/size/academic interests, etc.) I'm sure you can get some suggestions from this forum. Know that even for someone who is a valedictorian with perfect test scores, a school like Yale will reject the majority of this applicant group. Apply if you love it but there are no "safeties" in the top 10-15 schools unless you are an exceptionally talented and recruited athlete or have a large building named for your family.</p>

<p>SheepGK</p>

<p>thanks for responding. I always wonder why someone with stats like yours asks to "chanced". You've come up with a pretty good reason.</p>

<p>My views -- there is not a school in the US where your statististics will not be competitive. You should definitely apply to places like Yale, Duke, Penn,etc. I agree with YaleGradandDad that based on stats, it's impossible to say anyone is better than 50/50 for Yale. Likewise with I don't think that Duke or Penn meet my personal definition of "Safety" school for ANYONE, in that every year they do reject people with stats like yours. Unless your GC knows something about these schools that we don't (and this is always a possibility), it's hard to call them safe schools. That's the bad news.</p>

<p>Here's the good news. Unless there is something unusual about the rest of your resume, if you apply to a lot of supercompetitive schools it is highly likely that you will get accepted to one or more. This is where people with your statistics go. I also think that you are looking at it correctly, you should apply to many -- how many to recommend is tough. If you apply to 6-7 Top 15 schools, you may get accepted to 1 or you may run the table and get accepted to all of them.</p>

<p>If you do take the process seriously, take each application seriously (including real safety schools) I think you'll be fine. Honestly, the vast majority of students wind up in the tier of school that one would predict.</p>

<p>Good luck!!</p>

<p>Sheep,</p>

<p>Sorry, the lack of detail made it seem like you might have been a troll (trolololol). Your stats are amazing, so as far as that goes, you're definitely right up there with the best of the best (for any top 10 school).
You've pretty much got Duke with your stats alone, but obviously, a lot of top schools count on more than that... you might want to post your ECs and stuff if you want better answers.</p>

<p>Are you sure your GC is not confused with Penn State? In which case what YaleGrad says, serious concern...</p>

<p>Reach-NYU?
Match-Duke, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, U Chicago, UCLA, etc
Safeties-Yale, Ivies, caltech, MIT, stanford</p>

<p>Oh wait, maybe I have those backwards? w/e =P</p>