What degree should I pursue?

<p>Academically, I love linguistics, literature, and history. On the side, I am interested in meteorology and thermodynamics. However, I am not much of a math/science person, and never have been. I am in love with Greenland and Antarctica; or really just anything within the Antarctic/Arctic circle. I love to travel, and want to visit places like Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and other areas such as Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. I also like Europe (France and Switzerland are my favorites.) My favorite historical topics include the Middle Ages, Westward Expansion, the Renaissance, Puritan New England, the 1900s-1920s, and the extreme late 1800s. I am a very competitive Spanish student and I am skipping a year of it and going straight to Honors Spanish IV next year, finally graduating with AP Spanish Language. I learned how to speak Danish (Greenlandic) in 7th grade and I am currently learning Latin and French. Literature is among one of my favorites as well. I am currently in Honors American Lit right now; and I have never been in an English class that inspires me as much as this class. It's as if the textbook was written especially for me. Next year I'll be in Honors British Lit, so I'm really excited for that; and finally graduating with AP English Lit & Comp. </p>

<p>However, there are problems with this. First of all, if I truly got degrees in the topics that I am thoroughly interested in and truly love; then I'm not sure what I'd do for a job. </p>

<p>I would like to get a degree in Medieval Studies, Arctic Biology, English Literature, and Meteorology. But what can one do with those degrees? I do not want to be a teacher. </p>

<p>I would like to be a writer for National Geographic, travel throughout the Arctic and Antarctic Circle, do research there and write books on the areas. That is my ultimate dream job.</p>

<p>But many people tell me that it's pointless to get degrees in History, or English, or really anything in the Humanities. The world is all about math and science now. ..But that's a problem for me, because I'm horrible at math, and I'm all right when it comes to science.</p>

<p>What should I do? The school that I want to go to the most is UPenn (not Penn State.)</p>

<p>Thanks. :)</p>

<p>OP, do you really have a gift for picking up languages? Could you become fluent in Mandarin or Arabic or Farsi? If so, you will have a career waiting for you. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Yes, I pick up on languages very fast. Thanks :)</p>

<p>The STEMSTEMSTEMSTEMSTEM crap is a bunch of propaganda. Some STEM fields are lucrative and some aren't. Some non-STEM fields are lucrative and some aren't. Pick a field you enjoy and are good at, and then if you're really that interested in money, look at what kind of salary you can expect with a major from that particular field instead of listening to generalized statements about hundreds of different degrees that cover tens of thousands of different jobs.</p>