It will be DH’s first Mother’s Day without his mom, since she passed away in March. 
I might get flowers. I’d like a hummingbird feeder. The kids might remember to say Happy Mother’s Day on the phone. I’m not getting the youngest for Mother’s Day, but he and his girlfriend will be arriving a few days later for I think a five day stay. I always enjoy their company.
My mother invited me over for breakfast this past Sunday and said “and don’t worry about bringing anything, just come yourself and that’ll be enough.” I thought she meant along the lines of a side or baked good, because we don’t like to show up empty-handed. When I get there she hugs me and says “Happy Mother’s Day!” – her calendar prints holidays closer to the date of the week before, so it looked like M’s Day fell on the 5th and not the 12th.
So on Monday morning, I called her and told her my kids were awful because I hadn’t gotten anything from them for Mother’s Day, hadn’t even heard from them. She cracked up.
I tend to cringe a little about major gift-giving holidays because the publicity ahead of them feels a little awkward and heavy-handed. My guys make every day a combination of Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, and Halloween anyway. 
I would love to have both of my kids here for Mother’s Day, but one is half way around the world and the other across the country.
Maybe next year…
I already bought myself flowers to plant for the porch and patio so I’m all set! Texts and calls from the kids would be icing on the cake.
I usually don’t like a lot of attention towards myself either. However on Mother’s Day I either love plants for my garden and definitely love having someone else make dinner, or get takeout. One night it’s nice not to have to plan what to make or get for dinner !!!
My D’s are here in town and they are doing a brunch for me. A couple of my friends will also be at our house for brunch since their kids live far away. One D is in charge of food and the other is make a signature cocktail and dessert for us. Weather should be sunny and in the high 60’s so a perfect day to enjoy sitting on the deck. I am getting exactly what I want for mother’s day and I’m fortunate my D’s know what will make me happy.
I don’t care about gifts, but I have always wanted a day with just my husband and kids. With both living mother’s, my husband and I have always spent brunch with one side of the family, and dinner with the other. While this is a nice “problem” to have, I have never had a Mother’s Day for me. I guess that is what my birthday is for!
Now that the kids are adults, one with their 7 month old, and the other expecting in July, Mother’s Day will now turn to them. No complaints as I look forward to celebrating them with their kids as my son and SIL might be a bit clueless about giving their wives attention. They made need some prodding from me!
For my bday, my D (at school 3000 miles away) bought a framed sign on Etsy that has an outline of the shape of CA and MA with a dotted line running from one to the other with a heart and the words “The love between and Mother and Daughter knows no distance” I am tearing up… again. One thing I have told both my kids who are incredible writers is to put a nice paper or report in a folio or write about anything and give me that. D has done it several times and I absolutely love it. I asked my S who is now in the pipefitters union to write a short essay on: "contemplations while pipefitting, or soldering vs welding or how to weld a great joint. " I am not one to have my heart set on gifts for any occasion, but when someone makes an effort, like D did for me on my bday, it means a big deal to me. S usually gives last minute gifts that he has put little effort into. 
I’m not big on gifts, although I know DH will get me something (likely flowers & tickets to some event). S1 will call and likely send a gift. This is the first time in almost 10 years that I’m in the same vicinity as S2 on Mother’s Day, but I have no idea if he’s planning to visit me - I’m assuming if that happens it’ll be because DH arranged it (should that be necessary for someone who’s 28yo?). With both kids having lived far enough away for the past 10 years, it would be nice to spend the day with at least one of them.
Going out-of-town for the weekend with my mother. Happily leaving my teens and husband behind so we can just do whatever we want and on our timeline.
My S is flying from DC to SF to spend Mother’s Day and Monday and me and H! We are thrilled! He will also be spending time with his cousin, whose place he will be staying at!
wish D could join us but she will be flying home later this month and staying maybe a few weeks. I am VERY happy!
I know D1 is taking all of us out to lunch on mother’s day. D2 and her BF are coming even though she is in the midst of her finals.
One young woman on my staff asked to take this Fri and next Mon off. I wasn’t thrilled because we have a major deliverable, but when I heard she was going home to see her mother (across the country) for Mother’s Day I couldn’t say no.
I was talked into driving from DC to Florida on Friday and back on Sunday. So what I want for mother’s day is for no one to fight in the car. What I’m likely to get is three cranky passengers and too much traffic.
Both my daughters are flying in later this month for my retirement party. That’s Mother’s Day enough for about five years.
I don’t, personally, give a rat’s backside about Mother’s Day.
But I want both of my kids to acknowledge it in some fashion–email, card, phone call, whatever. Otherwise, my husband will be on my case for weeks about having been a rotten mother who didn’t teach my kids enough manners so that they would know that they have to acknowledge Mother’s Day.
There’s something very weird about this.
I have cards for my siblings and my mom that I will mail in the morning. I don’t usually have plans on Mother’s day. My dream would be for someone to have the home professionally cleaned for me and a nice meal on table where I don’t have to clean up afterwards.
.
D1 has lived locally post college for the last 5 years and our tradition has been to take a walk on the beach with our dog and have after. She is moving across the country in July so this will be the last time we get to do that, at least for the next couple of years. Her good friend is graduating law school locally on Mother’s Day so we’re spending Saturday together. I think we’ll keep with our tradition as well as do some shopping since she never picked out a birthday gift. A full day with my D…priceless. My other two D’s, both across the country, will likely text and call.
We’re not big on gifts for parents unless they know of something specific we’d appreciate. I mentioned to D2 that there is a subscription service where you take a quiz and the MIT grad that created the company and its algorithm pairs you with 4 wines for $50 for the first month. You can cancel after that. I mentioned that could be a fun gift from she and her sisters if they were so inclined. So, chances are, I’m getting that. D1 is also great at picking out cards and writing beautiful sentiments so I’m hopeful I might receive that too.
Both kids both live here right now. My d will actually be gone this weekend.
This year I asked for strawberry pancakes and mimosas for breakfast. But I want hubby to make them. They all usually get me cards, but I try not to make every holiday about gifts. The fact we’re still so close, I don’t need the affirmation.
I’ll be on a plane headed home, so an unexpected - and never before seen - upgrade to First Class would be nice.
Likely to get a few calls from the kids, laughing their way through saying “Happy Mother’s Day”. My youngest will be the most earnest in his expression for this, though. Good enough for me.