What does studying mean to you?

<p>When you guys are studying, what does that usually mean you are doing? I think I am in need of some new habits.</p>

<p>When I study, I just stare at notes. I also need new study habits.</p>

<p>I highlight important stuff in textbooks (bullet points and thesis statements in the chapters).</p>

<p>It obviously depends on what you are doing, but when it comes to textbook reading, I'm old school and simply sit and write out what's important from every chapter I read - takes up a lot of time, but I have aced many tests this way, and then have a final study packet</p>

<p>It very much depends on whether you're studying math/science or humanities...</p>

<p>I attend lecture like a normal person, write down notes, then rewrite them in a separate notebook with colored pencils, highlighters, etc in greater detail. For very bulk chapters (where the power points are up to 90 slides), I'll usually make flash cards in addition to this. For example, right now we're doing nervous coordination in Biology, and there are plenty of terms and concepts to remember (terms like Afferent and Efferent neurons and concepts such as Depolarization and Re polarization). </p>

<p>It takes an immense amount of time and, if you ask a professional, probably borders on obsessive compulsive disorder. But it's worth it because I get my money's worth of a scientific education, and always have the basics to look back at when I move on to upper division coursework. Oh, I also do this for Chemistry as well, but I find the subject material in that class to be easier than Biology.</p>

<p>Since I'm in a BS/MD program, it's imperative that I know this stuff like the back of my hand.</p>

<p>That's what studying means to me.</p>

<p>If it's a class like math or accounting, I do problems similar to what I'd expect on the exam.</p>

<p>If it's a class like history or philosophy, I re-read the readings quickly (you can skim, if you do it right) and re-take notes on those sections. It's time-consuming, tedious, and a bit of overkill since I already read it and already took notes, but I find taking notes a second time more engaging than just reading the notes I already took.</p>

<p>Math/Sci
-Look over notes until I understand concepts
-Do problems/questions from the book
-Figure out what I need to study
-Repeat
-Once majority of problems/questions are done, i try to find practice exams and do them</p>

<p>Have yet to take a college history course. I would assume it's grinding out events and people. English is purely essays and reading of texts for me.</p>

<p>Re-writing and re-typing notes help. making flash cards, also. And if it's relevant to the class, doing practice problems. Or for humanities essay-based exams, I write out general outlines.</p>

<p>Terms & Definitions/Theorems/Formulas/Concepts/Basic Memorization Etc... I use flashcards, outlines of notes and often watch related videos on YouTube that can help me make an association with something. If it's a humanities course with a lot of reading involved, I create outlines of the entire chapter and create flashcard sets of each smaller portion. (Quizlet is a lifesaver for someone who uses flashcards as much as I do!)</p>

<p>Calculations/Formulas (Again)/Math/Chemistry/Etc... I do several practice sets. I have the formulas listed twice because there's a difference between knowing a formula and knowing how to apply it. Also, I often talk through steps out-loud while working problems. I learned by tutoring that my 'spoken' conversation will be the first thing my brain goes to when trying to recall how to work it during the test. </p>

<p>Images/Maps/Diagrams/Tables/Etc... I scan into my computer and create a 'blank' copy to be filled out. I put these in sheet protectors and use a dry-erase marker to label them myself. This way I can wipe off the sheet protector and do it over again until it sticks. </p>

<p>These are just my methods, and they work well for me. I have, however, been told that I over study and over complicate things often... But I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. These are actually pretty refined study habits compared to some of my past, and I've managed to cut down on a lot of time spent 'preparing to study' by not actually writing flashcards and printing several 'empty' diagrams.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. I have found many good ideas here. I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to this topic and help a fellow member out.</p>

<p>I have yet to completely refine my study habits, to be quite honest, mainly because I don't really study. Ah, procrastination. I've made it my goal this school year to finish with more serious study habits though, and compared to last year, I've made some improvement. Hopefully, I will truly know what I am learning by the end of the year! (:</p>

<p>For calculations, I don't really do anything outside of the homework assigned usually because I understand the processes and remember how to do them rather quickly and easily. If there are formulas, rules, properties, etc. though, I might glance over my notes from time to time to memorize them, that is, if I haven't naturally done so from doing the homework. If I find that I can't remember them for whatever reason, I'll actually write them out about 10 times.</p>

<p>For vocabulary and basic concepts, I've started utilizing Quizlet, which has been a life saver for my French III Pre-AP class because in my high school, the transition from French II to French III Pre-AP is a rather alarming one due to the caliber of the textbook used in French III. It's made memorizing what can be sometimes over 100 words in just a day or two so much easier (we would start a new chapter and would have a quiz the next block day), especially because of Quizlet's Speller feature, which helps me in making sure that I spell each word correctly, proper accents and gender and all. This is also handy for memorizing conjugations for me. I am the only person in a class that consists of both French III and French AP kids (there aren't enough people signed up for the AP class to constitute their own separate period, so French III kids are actually doing a lot of AP work, save for a few assignments) who has yet to fail a vocabulary quiz, so I think that says a lot, especially since I have yet to actually use Quizlet like I should (it's been a lot of last minute, looking at the vocabulary the morning of the quiz for me!).</p>

<p>For more extensive bits of information, I just sit and stare at the notes, which I find I can't really do for more than a few minutes before I get distracted. If there are online quizzes available via an online textbook (if there is an online textbook available to me), I'll take them though! </p>

<p>I plan on polishing up my habits by buying some spirals for each basic area of study, e.g. "Math," and copying cleaned up notes from my junior year and what I have so far this year into each spiral. That way, I'll have my own textbook in a format that I am used to with everything from, in the case of math, algebra II skills I've forgotten to calculus (as that is what I am taking). I plan on keeping these with me when I go to college, and adding on spirals when I've filled one out. I have to admit that I cannot wait to do this once I have enough time.</p>