I have been going back and fort between two schools. The deadline was May 1st. I payed deposit and picked one. But know I change my mind. Can I do anything to go back to change it?
What if i changed my mind about the school that I chose in May 1? Can I go back and change my school?
You can call the school you’d like to choose and see if they’ll let you in. You’ll likely lose the money you sent to the school you signed a SIR at. Don’t bail on the first until you KNOW you are in the second.
I don’t know anything about your options, but buyer’s remorse is a real thing. It is totally normal to second guess yourself on such a big decision- especially if you just made the decision in the past 72 hours.
It is ok to wonder if you made the right choice. But unless it was a misunderstanding of what you could actually afford, I would say: trust your original choice and celebrate!
A deadline is a deadline. A commitment is a commitment. You’ve already made a decison. Don’t look back. Even if you are able to make the switch, you may change your mind again if you keep second-guessing yourself.
What are the two schools? Why did you get cold feet about the first and what do you think would be “better” about the second?
In general, I concur with this sentiment. Going back on ones word has negative downstream ramifications for the institutions and other students. That said, it’s something institutions all deal with. You probably know this, but loosing SIR’d students is called melt.
Thank you for your respond. The school that i chose is Loyola Marymount University. It is private expensive school, but they gave me scholarship. I also live a block from the LMU and I don’t have to move to the dorm. The only downside is I am a Biology major as undergrad and this school doesn’t recognized as a high rank in Bio. The other school was UC Davis that I didn’t accept, because I thought living in a dorm and new environment would effect my grades specially for the first year. I gave up on the school/UC over the risk of moving out and living in the new environment. The cost of both schools are the same after the scholarship. I am not sure if that was a right decision.
You need to contact UC Davis Admissions and ask if they will reinstate your acceptance and allow you to come.
At some point you need to choose a path and move forward.
You’re lucky in that students are no longer strictly held to the May 1st deadline- colleges negociated the change for themselves before covid, because they wanted to be able to make offers to students they were interested it after May 1st. As a result, you wouldn’t have any penalty.
Lmu is perfectly fine for Biology* and would likely have more support for you. It’s a stunning school, well-respected for its academics and Jesuit mission.
However commuting to a school for the same cost as living in the dorm (where you’d learn to become independent) might not be the best choice.
Think about it some more. Are you happy commuting? Are you worried you’d be too homesick and not able to manage your time well?
Call UC Davis, ask if they’d even let you come now that you didn’t enroll on May 1st and they maybhqve started calling their waitlist.
Plus, LMU may end up being the best choice for you.
*generally speaking I’d discourage you from majoring in biology, unless you can do bioinformatics or biostatistics. There’s a very low ROI and an oversupply of majors compared to job openings for bio majors. What about other majors you may be interested in?
I agree wholeheartedly!
As I recall you want to go to medical school. Med schools could care less about where you go to undergrad. Rank means nothing to them. Given the methodology of most of them it shouldn’t mean anything to you either. Go to the school where you will be supported in getting the best grades. If you choose Davis your lectures will be giant and your labs and discussions will be taught by grad students. Think carefully before you switch.
also uc davis has so many undergrads trying to go into med school. You need to get a good gpa and good letters of rec. UC Davis bio classes start at 600 and senior year you get classes at 60+ students. You are not going to stand out and it will be very competitive. I personally would choose LMU for a better chance at med school