<p>I’m a rising college sophomore (Accounting major) who hopes to eventually attain the CPA designation. Currently I don’t have any work experience on my resume other than being a web designer in high school, but that’s long over.</p>
<p>Right now I need to get a job as soon as possible and will be working part-time concurrently with school. My question is, is there any type of job that will look “good” on my resume to future Big 4 recruiters/CPA Firms? Will any clerical job be favorable, such as a receptionist or office clerk? I’ll be taking my first business & accounting courses this fall.</p>
<p>I would say something that has you working with actual people on a regular basis. I am working for Carmax, selling cars on a part time basis for the past two years and when I put that on my resume for my applications at the Big Four they were really impressed. It deals with working with people and helping solve problems in a way. Needless to say I believe it helped me land a job at Deloitte and hopefully a full-time position once I graduate.</p>
<p>However, network like crazy. Get in touch with your school’s career center and ask about any positions that deals with business and your major.</p>
<p>You should focus on getting a job that you can stick with and potentially move up in. As mentioned above, sales jobs, or any type of position where you are working with people are great. They help you build your interpersonal skills and also show firms that you can interact with people. I know that when I was back in your position and applying for internships, the firms I interviewed with were impressed by commitment with a job and also moving up. For instance, lets say you start at as a cashier as mentioned above, and are eventually promoted to lead cashier or some type of management position. Even though the job may be remedial, it will show that you have leadership potential and that you are a candidate for the long haul. arajput23 has a good point about networking. You can never not network enough - sorry for the double neg. Check with your school’s career center, check with your local chamber of commerce, join groups, etc. As a college student seeking an accounting degree, you can join the AICPA and usually your state’s society of CPA’s as well for nominal fees. These are fantastic places to network and also look great on your resume as professional memberships.</p>